BPCS may have changed dramatically since the version I'm on (405 CD) but hopefully part of what I am saying can point you in direction you want to go.

# 1 ... everyone used to have a pop-up menu in which the first option was their settings ... which OUTQ JOBQ etc. they used ... there was some stuff unwise to change, without first reading the BPCS Logic Manual (Document SSALOG00 in the BPCSDOC collection of documents) The Logic Manual explains where the default rules for on-line and batch are stored. Depending on what areas of BPCS you are newbie to, perhaps you should be exploring the file BPCSDOC (each member is a different manual) since there's lots other goodies in there.

# 2 ... there used to be a collection of fix-it options via SYS/23 menu in which one was for IT to fix the pop-up/1 settings for any user/workstation that managed to get them messed up ... since many of the options on SYS/23 should only be run at particular times in end fiscal cycle, we copied key fixit anytime options to our own fixit menu, which has got some options not on original SYS/23, such as a mass fixit for in-use flags, like if shipping selects one customer, then bombs, and all orders on that one customer are now in use.

We have our settings setup to default to the settings desired where MOST of our users are located, then as new users work station addresses pop up in other locations, we change their default settings to the appropriate printer OUTQ tec. for them. We also alert new users that we have the option of creating an OUTQ just for one person, or one department, then defaulting all their reports to go there, so they not have to dig through reports of many other people to find theirs.

Our 400 security is set so that different people can access each other's reports (spool control) and some people profile set to let them know when some other person prints one of their reports. That also works great when you printing on a remote printer (remote to where you are) and you want to know when it gets done.

# 3 ... there are some reports we wanted to go to a particular printer irrespective of who ran the job, so we modified the CL involved. For example, suppose someone alters a customer order ... perhaps you want acknowledgement of the change printing in the Customer Service dept so the personnel there can verify the action.

# 4 ... if you look in WRKSYSVAL from command line, you can find rules that apply to the entire AS/400/i/Series/System/i/whatever ... if you do the *PRINT option it shows which values got changed relative to how they were shipped from IBM. You have to be a 400 Security Officer to be changing any of those values & ought to seriously study the documentation involved before doing so, since some of them are non-reversable, and can really mess you up if you not know what you are doing. Anyhow, one of those values tells the entire system what is the system printer. The IBM Work Management manual lists all the SYSVAL, but I have an old hand-out from a COMMON that someone on MIDRANGE-L gave me, that explains most of them, that I could forward (ask off list please).

# 5 if you are new to BPCS but your consulting firm is not, ask about BPCS manuals. There are a lot out there, and any firm in the BPCS consulting business ought to have several kinds. Relevant to your questions might be the IBM Redbook on BPCS, and the documentation that originally came with BPCS with respect to installation.

Al Macintyre

I am working in ERP LX (8.3).  I have changed the packing list format
(OLM591O) to print portrait.  Works great interactively when I do an
override printer file on the command line.

Where do I change the 'system' printer control so the batch print works?
Also, where do I indicate different printers for various warehouse users
in different states?

Thank you,

Bonnie Lokenvitz

  Technology Consulting Inc