When BPCS was first setup, there should have been people with a thorough understanding of what controls which warehouses used for which purposes, then as time goes on, the company needs evolve, and changes might be made by people who lack a good understanding of all the nuances.

If you have items which are not negative in item master, but are negative by warehouse, location, or lot, then you need to trace the transactions on some of the items involved.

If transactions, such as labor, do not get entered to BPCS in exact same sequence as items made & consumed, you could have a temporary negative math, but if there is a time in your processing, such as end of day, end week, end month, when all transactions are supposed to be in the system, and you still have negative quantities some place then that implies some combination of:
* data got misposted
* some transactions never got entered
* some transactions were misreported
* an even # of people saw the same mistake and corrected it
* you have a bug in BPCS

Some BPCS programs support negative on-hand, negative allocations, etc. some do not. This can lead to some files being out-of-sync with each other, which can be fixed by the reorganization programs, which assume the most detail data is correct. Depending on your version of BPCS, this might not work correctly in all cases.

We have a rule imposed by top management. They do not want to see negative inventory on their end fiscal reports. This means that as month end approaches, there is a scramble to clean up the negatives, and we have various reports listing them, to help with this task. Seems to me, we might be better off if we better understood all causes of negatives & kept this cleaned up faster during the month. There is a related issue with shop orders, where we can have labor input for final operation before labor input for earlier steps, so we do not want to be purging shop orders where the earlier steps might not yet have gone in.

There are rules in the system parameters that may be insensitive to multiple facilities. We found it neccessary to do some modifications, in which the timing of running those modifications is critical, relative to other data flows.

Are you using reason codes with your miscelaneous inventory transactions?

We have lots items in inventory that shows negetive in the system. What controls what warehouse is attached to a PO when it is created? What controls what facility/warehouse and Item is Back Flushed from? I have an idea but this negative inventory issue has been driving me crazy and I want to make sure with that I am on the right track getting the inventory straighten out.

Thanks in advance