Check out MIDRANGE-L current thread on "Nightly Saves" which talks about all the stuff that not even SAVE-21 gets, such as IFS/TMP which might contain permanent stuff placed there by people who not understand TEMP, and with what versions of OS/400 there are changes in what can be included in a backup.

Note that some users will generate output, check their work, then DELETE their audit trails, so you need to factor this into your backup strategy.

Some important activity is captured in BPCS audit trails such as: ITH Inventory History; FLT Labor Transactions History; and related files such as what gets posted to the General Ledger. There are tables with audit trails of invoices, checks, shipments, receipts, cash payments, sales, all sorts of business activities, except BPCS documentation does not call them audit trails.

Many BPCS printed "audit trails" are poorly designed from perspective of anyone deciphering what happened.

There are 3rd party add ons to help you backup
* what the AS/400 and base BPCS do not.
* substitute meaningful intuitively-obvious audit trails
* BPCS activity important to general operations, such as a history of changes to customer orders that might be lead time sensitive * BPCS activity that has security implications, such as changing the pricing, sending valuables to a bogus address, then changing everything back to what it was

Getting a backup of what happened is half the battle.

Getting at what you need out of the audit trails in a coherent fashion, without being flooded with extraneous data, is the bane of all ERP data mining state of art. You have to consider what the purpose is of your backup.

Hi All,

Does BPCS keep audit trails in a table? If not, how can I backup the
spool files of the users.

 Regards,

Isaac A. Antwi
Applications Manager
AngloGold Ashanti Limited
(Formerly Ashanti Goldfields Co. Ltd)
Information Systems Department
Obuasi Mine
Tel: +233 (0)582 40494 Ext. 1591
Fax: +233 (0)582 40268
Mobile: +233 (0)24 4672164
E-mail: iantwi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
<mailto:iantwi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Confidentiality Warning

This e-mail message contains confidential information which is intended
for the
use of the person to whom it is addressed. If you received it in error,
please notify
the sender and delete the material from any computer. Any disclosure,
re-transmission,
dissemination or any other use of this information is strictly
prohibited