We also use the terminology "repair" for RMA where we made the product exactly to the customer specifications, but now they need like a retroactive engineering change to parts made to the specifications that existed at the time they were made, to change them to a later version.

For example, the customer has enough of the old version in stock, wants their excess converted to the next revision. We call it "repairs" because the same process if followed to get the job done, as if it really was repair of something done wrong. The only difference is that the customer is paying us to do this.

Order Type, and notes, spell out pretty clearly the nature of the circumstances.

We use an item # with an extra character at the end to indicate the special circumstances.
"R" for repair, typically using an "alternate" set of routings and BOM
"S" for sample, because different pricing rules in effect, and sometimes we need to get to the customer before the engineering is completed. We have also used an item class of SA for Sample, when doing work on an item not yet in a completed engineering approval condition. This makes it easy to run variants on our regular reports, listing only the items so designated.

If you are going to be doing a lot of these repairs, that are really conversions between revision levels, you might want to have a separate facility just for that, since the costing rules are quite different from regular manufacturing or distribution.

-
Al Macintyre
BPCS/400 Computer Janitor ... see
http://radio.weblogs.com/0107846/stories/2002/11/08/bpcsDocSources.html