Hi,

Wow - now we are an Omen movie ;-) Just a correction to all - it's known
as a daemon, not damien! ;-)

You do not need to create ports. The iSeries operating system maintains
these as part of TCP/IP (assuming TCP/IP is started on your box). You
just need to ensure with use of the NETSTAT command that a port number
that you want to use with BPCS is not already being used for something
else. Any number between 1 and 65535 is usually valid, though you will
find that other software might be using other ports and in general ports
over 5000 are safer, as many lower port numbers get reserved for system
functions. When you use NETSTAT if a job is started to that port, there
is an option to view the job - ensure it is really the ALAUNCH job and
that there is no MSGW or other odd status (you can end and restart the
job if there is some abnormal error).

If it's not ALAUNCH but something else which is taking up that port,
maybe you now have installed some new software which is already using
that port? Write down the program name and figure out whose software it
belongs to. If this is the case, you can either reconfigure that
software to use another port and restart that software, or you can start
the BPCS ALAUNCH daemon to a new port (but in this case all your users
will need to update their workstation settings to point to the new port
number).

If things are really a mess, you can end and restart TCP/IP, though
generally this should not be required.

BMR 67665 is required for V5R3 and higher releases of OS/400 to run any
Client/Server daemon (Newi or Alaunch). If you order and apply this BMR
for Alaunch, your command to start ALAUNCH will change (STRALD) and you
will get some better diagnostic messages (and will be able to configure
your environment differently and more flexibly if you like) - but it's
not a required upgrade at V5R2.

Thanks,

Genyphyr Novak
Senior System Software Engineer
SSA Global R&D

------------------------------

message: 4
date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 22:21:31 +0200
from: "Davide Roveda" <Davide.Roveda@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
subject: Re: [BPCS-L] CEA Damien job start

Hello

Please, check if needed BMR 67665.

I do not remember exactly if for V5R2 or V5R3.

Regards

Davide

message: 7
date: Wed, 26 Jul 2006 10:50:11 -0400
from: "Wes Reinhold" <WesR@xxxxxxxxxxx>
subject: Re: [BPCS-L] CEA Damien job start

You can allocate a port to the job using WORK WITH PORT RESTRICTIONS in
CFGTCP so nothing else grabs that port.  That's what we had to do.
After that it worked fine.  (V5R3)