Yvonne,

Method Code Type 2 will support special costing and manufacturing
bill/routings. BPCS MRP uses only the default "blank" method code for
planning. You can create Firm Planned orders with a specific user defined
method code, and MPS/MRP/CRP will work with it just fine. If you try to
specify a method code for a standard planned order (without "Firming" it)
you will be fine until the next MPS/MRP run, when BPCS will re-plan the
requirement with the default "blank" reason code. Another problem with
method codes is after you have manufactured the product/parts and they are
in inventory, how do you identify what items were made with the alternate
method (and should have a different manufacturing cost) and those that
were made with the normal method code? Unless you use a special warehouse
location, or document lot numbers, it becomes very difficult to segregate
the inventory made with an alternate method code. The primary reason I
have used method codes is to provide an alternate routing for items that
can be manufactured using different equipment to avoid a bottle neck work
center when the product mix is problematic.

Frederick C. Davy, CPIM, PMP
Business Systems Analyst
Interface Solution, Inc.
Phone: (315) 592-8101
Fax: (315) 592-8481
e-mail: fcdavy@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Yvonne F Nugent <Yvonne.Nugent@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: bpcs-l-bounces+fcdavy=sealinfo.com@xxxxxxxxxxxx
07/11/2006 07:41 AM
Please respond to
SSA's BPCS ERP System <bpcs-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

bpcs-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
[BPCS-L] BPCS Method Codes

We use a number of different method codes, the MF method code being the
one that is used in manufacturing.

We are implementing a new costing system (interfacing to BPCS) which will
need to use the MF method code, but as we have the method code set up as
type 0 (manufacturing only) the system cannot access the method code.
I think we need to change type to number 2 for manufacturing and costing.
But are there any implications of doing this that we need to think about ?

Thanks for any help.
Yvonne