Hello,

This discussion of the SYS008C etc. made me think of another thing which
you might not know about that is new V8.3 and which was BMR'd back to
8.2 and 6.1.

If you want to run BPCS outside of BPCS and want to set up all the
things for it such as language, printing and batch job settings, setting
up LDA for the key etc. based on Job control data area name (which in
V8.2 and higher can be the user name running the job or the job name for
batch jobs) - you can use either the program or service program SYS550W.

This is available in V8.3 base and via BMR 68345 in V6.1 and V8.2.

Calling it with the parameter of a 10A EC library of the environment you
want to start, and a 1A return code will set everything up just as if
you'd entered BPCSMENU (but expectation is this is a batch job, so we
would never bring up remembered keys panels etc.), and will return
control to your program to do the next steps. If you need to reset the
library list or *LDA to previous values after you invoke BPCS, then you
should save it before calling SYS550W and restore it again after you are
done. Note that if a JCDA for your job doesn't already exist, it's
created from SYS041D defaults.

If you are using ILE RPG and like procedures you can use the SYS550W
*SRVPGM exported procedure SetUpBPCS (input is 10A EC library name and a
1A return code) and bind your RPG to the SYS550W service program. The
*PGM copy of SYS550W has no code - it simply invokes the *SRVPGM with
the parameter.

The return codes that you can get back in the 1A field are '0' for
success. Any other code means it failed to set up the environment (your
code should check this and not proceed if there is a failure). Messages
are logged to the joblog to say what failed.

Thanks,

Genyphyr Novak
Senior System Software Engineer
SSA Global R&D