There may be several MIDRANGE-L folks interjecting comments in this thread because someone on MIDRANGE-L discovered the SSA sale a day after it was announced here, so I sent MIDRANGE-L link to discussion already going on here.

Different people can have honest differences and concerns based on good and bad career experiences with hardware and software, our employers depend upon, going away, seeing this happen in other companies, and some extremely bad behavior models with other computer companies that provide automatic updates that can be far below perfection.

The commercial software model is what most companies prefer to use, because we paid some chunk of money and got a contractual service, in which the contracts may have been poorly written.

Open Source has ERP. Different model ... instead of paying the big bucks, one has to invest lots of people know-how. This would never work with my employer, since most fellow employees want the ERP to tell them how to do ERP, they do not want to be doing the knowledge management to tell the ERP how to do ERP.

I am also aware that there's lots of people out there not exactly qualified to do ERP application design modifications. I remember when we were on MAPICS I and getting a patch to fix an accounting problem. Seems that some company had complained that the General Ledger would not let them post batches out of balance ... so IBM sent a patch to all of us to make it practical for us to do accounting batch posting where the debits not equal the credits ... a case of not having relevant application professionals overseeing requests for fixes ... I have seen same kind of thing happen with BPCS, but not as easy for me to explain the problem.

I was reading the documentation for all MAPICS patches before I applied them, was how I discovered the accounting patch that did not seem to be a good idea ... took it to the CFO to let him has IBM to reverse the patch.. BPCS patch documentation not as good, when we were getting it, so I may have been missing stuff like that.

Mr. Davy, I have no position on the BPCS issue (well, not this particular
issue, anyway), but I can tell you that Mr. Jedrzejewicz is a longtime
member of and contributor to many of the MIDRANGE.COM mailing lists.

Joe