Another aid we got that you might find helpful.
In 405 CD when you release a shop order, the FMA file lists the materials needed for that order. We have got queries/400 setup that link the FMA data with on-hand and other files so that

(a) supervisor of assembly for some SO can check "Do we have everything on-hand needed for this SO, and if not, what is the status on SOs to make the sub-assembly requirements (link FMA of what supervisor is interested in, with FSO of lower level components)

(b) did we release work to shop floor based on customer requirements that have been changed, so that now this work should no longer be on shop floor?

If you not have time for MRP regens, consider the value of SFC350, being careful to fill in facility but not limit to warehouse, so you see all components available in the facility (we have shipping warehouse and WIP warehouse and others within same facility) ... this will show you what sub-assemblies you have shortages on that are bottlenecks to producing some item. Then check those short items out in INV300 F22.

Of course this approach not so hot if you got a ton of items you want to inspect their status on. Our lead times not as tight as yours, although they are quite tight. We run MRP full regen every nite, also some CPA regens, then we have queries, and other reports, to list shop orders, purchase orders, etc. where MRP suggests some change in when to make something. We cloned SFC230 to list what is to be made (released SO data mainly in FOD file) to sequence by the nature of the work, to reduce setup times.

We got people who got away from MRP250 because of the sense that it was wasting a lot of computer paper, but I suspect they now spending more time looking at the report on screen, than looking at it on paper. It can be run by planner code, but then you have to maintain your items with which ones have which planner codes.

-
Al Macintyre
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:AlMac
http://www.ryze.com/go/Al9Mac