Bill here's what we did to add steel surcharges to our orders.

We have a flag in the customer master that identifies customers who get
surcharges.

We created a separate program to add surcharges for steel during pick
confirm. The program is called from ORD570 (Pick Confirm Update) during the
pick confirm process and it creates a surcharge record for each line item at
write it to the ECS file (like a special charge).

If you like I can go in to more detail on how we do it,  it was
fairly easy once we figured out where to put the called program in ORD570.

We are on BPCS 6.1.02 full client server.