We are 405 CD
Best solution may vary with BPCS version.

Assuming you have launched shop orders for what is needed.

There is an issue of timing when you do stuff, with respect to MRP regen, so as to get good data in the MRP files to exploit. Before shop order launching, the requirements may have been in MRP as planned orders, but act of shop order release makes them firm orders, so if you gonna use MRP files to feed some data into your shortage projections report, it may pay to do an MRP net change right after launching your new shop orders.

The MRP files all start with K
The CAP files start with L
DRP may also be a factor

FMA file contains what materials are needed for the BOM of your shop orders.
If you are only one facility, it is simpler. IIM file has what's on-hand, needed for all orders (including these latest ones). If you multi-facility, multi-warehouses, other files (such as CIC ILI IWI) needed to get at just what is on-hand, on-order (raw materials in purchase orders) in the facility of the shop orders.

Be careful how you sequence reports to avoid totals that combine same story for different reasons.

So this gives you
* what raw materials you need for a shop order
* how much of them on-hand
* how much on order but not here yet
* how much of them needed for all other requirements
* which of them have shortages
MRP already knows all this, time phased

Very few of our people like any of the native BPCS reports (including me) so pretty much all that we are using have been modified, initially to add more useful info to each report, and make the whole thing more easy to read without wasting so much paper, later to tinker with selection criteria, instead of getting a 2,000 page report when we only need 20 pages.

BPCS MRP reports are not exactly friendly to running them just for items that are raw materials for new shop orders, but they can be modified, to just do the raw material item type, that have non-zero in some key field

It assumes pretty good accuracy in your data base, such as inventory updates from labor up to date. We do this in batches, because that's most efficient use of our people, so some reports need to be timed to run after catch up, perhaps run by same people who enter the labor batches.

 you wrote:
How could I run a report this week to list the gross requirments and actual stock on hand for next week. Basically we wish to start precounting inventory to avoid shortages that are picked the day before production.

Thanks

Joe