Daniel,

Good answer, but I believe the saying is "Don't forecast what you can
calculate", The one other point I would make to pd is to be aware of
inserting multiple variables to your MRP logic. By that I mean if you are
planning requirements for end items (finished goods) in LOT QUANTITIES
(Order Policy code H, I, J), you have already affected your inventory
levels at replenishment to be greater than zero if your customers are not
required to order full lot quantities. To add a minimum balance variable
on top of that, you can further distort both the timing and the
replenishment balances (Minimum balance of 1000, lot quantity of 2500, as
soon as the projected balance is 999 or less, a planned order for 2500
will be created by BPCS. If you have no further movement on this item
before the replenishment order is received, you could conceivably have
3499 in stock. Remember that you have over-planned all components to
support that level of inventory, and the timing of their re-order. This
could have a dramatic affect on cash flow and inventory cost/turns.) As
another saying goes, "do all things in moderation".

Frederick C. Davy, CPIM, PMP
Business Systems Analyst
Interface Solution, Inc.
Phone: (315) 592-8101
Fax: (315) 592-8481
e-mail: fcdavy@xxxxxxxxxxxx

"Daniel Warthold" <daniel.warthold@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: bpcs-l-bounces+fcdavy=sealinfo.com@xxxxxxxxxxxx
10/27/2005 09:56 AM
Please respond to
"SSA's BPCS ERP System" <bpcs-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

"SSA's BPCS ERP System" <bpcs-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
Re: [BPCS-L] Minimum balance for children

Good answer Al.

I'd like to add, there is a principle in materials management that reads
"do not guess what you can calculate", (or something like that). This
means
put the safety stock where you have uncertainty of the demand, (on the
finished item in this case), and let MRP calculate the requirements on the
components.

If you also had uncertainty on the components, like if they were also sold
as spare parts, then you might want to cover this uncertainty with
additionnal safety stocks on these components as  well.

Daniel Warthold P. eng CPIM