1.   Yes..  bill goods.. and release inventory to ship at another
time.

Take a look at the ORDER TYPES.
You can have orders that update receivables sales inventory ... take your pick of combinations. We use several kinds of customer orders:
* We ship to customer and book all accounting same day.
* The customer is another of our facilities, so we want to transfer the inventory but avoid having receivables and payables on ourselves. * The customer has a quality problem ... they may return the parts for repair at our cost, so the RMA and re-ship are NOT mirror images. * The customer has had a revision change and they want us to modify some prior shipments to the new revision.

In your case you might consider creating a pair of orders.
Then in notes to be printed on the corresponding invoices and/or shipping paperwork (a) here are the $ charges ... the inventory shipment will go out on order # such & such at no charge (b) this is a no charge confirmation that the inventory just went out ... the original $ billing was on order _____

You might consider populating the Purchase Order # field of one of the orders with the order # of the other.

2.   Basically  a version of  send an order.. then send a release to
ship.
The business model in the old "mainframe" system actually has a
separate order for the original and another order for the release
and it keeps it in sync.

Create a warehouse holding area which is in the name of the customer for whom you are holding shipments. The inventory there is packed ready to ship, with the shipping paperwork and copy of invoice attached, if that is your business model, and clearly labeled with customer part identification so it can be read off of the shelves from a distance ... we use an approach similar to this for customers who pay us to have minimum balance safety stock in our shipping warehouse. They phone us and ask for XXX to be shipped the same day. We remove from the shelf, adjust customer order to have a line to have XXX due out that same day, pick it ship it invoice it, and that nite the MRP regen sees we need to issue a shop order to replenish XXX in the customer warehouse.

-
Al Macintyre  http://www.ryze.com/go/Al9Mac
BPCS/400 Computer Janitor ... see
http://radio.weblogs.com/0107846/stories/2002/11/08/bpcsDocSources.html