From: bpcs-l-bounces+lwl=ix.netcom.com@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:bpcs-l-bounces+lwl=ix.netcom.com@xxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Al Mac
Sent: Monday, September 05, 2005 11:18 AM
To: SSA's BPCS ERP System
Subject: Re: [BPCS-L] Planned Order conversion

This is somewhat dependent on BPCS version and what parts of BPCS a company
is using.

Here's what we do.
1. Engineering ... various files have to have the correct coding for stuff
to work right.  This includes FRT and whole lot more.
2. Automated Planning ... each nite I run, by facility, in this sequence:
MRP80W (modification to handle multiple planning warehouses per facility)
MRP500 SEVERAL TIMES
MRP600
CAP600 ... this updates LWK
3. Manual Planning ... MRP250 tells Shop Order planners what's needed  and
where there is trouble ... we have modified this report ... then based on
the report they see what shop orders need to be released ... this is one
area that takes a lot of staff hours, that I am trying to get a handle on
what all they have to do, to see if it is practical to get the job done
with less time

There are several different ways that the shop orders can be launched.  All
of them internally call the program SFC520 to actually print the shop
paperwork, which we have modified.  Earlier process step, which we have not
modified, is to copy FRT data to FOD, MBM to FMA, summarize them in FSO,
such that the shop order has a modified copy of the engineering needed to
make the parts, against which progress will be reported.

The process permits humans to release shop orders that are in excess of
capacity ... you do not need to be using capacity planning, with correctly
populated LWK for this operation to function, in fact in our case, BPCS CAP
is too simple-minded for our reality ... we have people cross-trained
across multiple factory work center departments, so we can shift people to
where the work is needed.

The process permits humans to release shop orders which in aggregate need
more material than we actually have.  Some of this is Ok because the
sub-components are being manufactured at the same time as them also being
consumed at higher levels of production ... overlapping operations, but
some of it, we need better execution since sometimes people start work on a
production step, only to experience an ingredients shortage.

Before knowing what each of two programs do, you need to map out, with the
help of XREF or GO CMDREF what program calls what program, and a summary
function of what each does ... plan on spending several weeks if not
several months mapping this out.  YOU have to understand how it works in
YOUR installation, because that will undoubtedly be different than how it
functions at companies of other people on this list.  Every company has a
different mixture of BPCS version and precise implementation tailoring.

4. The factory produces the parts and fills out paperwork associated with
what got done.
5. This paperwork gets keyed in using JIT600 for the bulk of it, SFC600 for
indirect labor and various corrections.
6. We then have considerable cleanup to do, and in my opinion, we currently
do not have the staff time to do this properly, and in consequence that is
adding to the staff time needed at step 3, which creates a visious circle.