Prashanth,

Here are some of the fundamental reasons why you may be using MPS or may be
using MPS for a given item.
1   If you have limited capacity in some or all workcenters or other resources
such as energy or storage. MPS can be used as a rough cut planning tool. See
also 'Bill of Resources'.  The concept is you have a limited population of
these items so it runs quickly. You can evaluate, change and rerun multiple
times before proceeding to the mass of items in MRP.
2   If your master scheduler demands some minimum lead time before a new
planned order is thrown into the the short term schedule, MPS allows you to
define a frozen time zone (horizon days) that will not accept new planned
orders.  MPS goes ahead and plans the order but parks it outside the frozen
zone. MRP on the other hand, will create a planned order that is already late
and should have started 2 weeks ago.
3   If using DRP500 to plan resupply orders the item must be flaged as MPS.
4   If using  kits, or planning bills or features & options I believe the
parent item must be MPS

If none apply, then perhaps MRP is all you need.

You need to be aware of where MRP,MPS, DRP items reside in the BOM. The classic
sequence is to run MRP500 then MRP600. If lower level MPS items exist between
MRP items, then you will need to repeat the sequence as many times as there are
breaks in the structure.

As for demand for an MPS or MRP item, the Requirements code is only part of the
solution. Check the Demand Time Fence and Demand code. These control how
Forecast and customer requirements are processed. You should also check to see
if you have selected Pro-rated forecast. If selected,g it may be reducing the
forecast to a number less than what you are expecting.

Regards
Larry