I think you may need a FAQ on MRP.
Have you read the BPCSDOC on MRP?
Do you have ANY manuals on BPCS relevant to MRP?

Generally a bunch of things feed into MPS MRP CAP DRP etc.

We have customer orders that feed into MPS MRP. Sometimes I am asked how come some customer order is being "ignored" by MPS MRP & when I check, I find that it is coded that way, coded for MPS MRP to ignore the item.

Lots of items are not supposed to be coded for MPS MRP ... for example in our BOM we have an Engineering Change record so it is easy for people to see the history of design changes affecting particular items ... well that is a phantom item that we not want to manufacture or buy.

It might be nice if we could setup rules in BPCS
For this item type class, default the facility rules this way
For this other item type class, default rules this other way
That way our people less likely to miss some field when entering a new item

One of our engineers used to have an AS/400 keyboard with 100% of the play keys programmed to enter standard data fields, but in the migration to PCs interfaced to AS/400, seems like we losing a lot of intelligence.

We have some items that we manufacture.
We have some that we purchase for resale ... for some customers when we manufacture whatever, we throw in package of extra components in case of need repair down the road, and some of those components are like our raw materials. We have some parts that are used both within manufacturing and sold to other customers. We are in the wiring harness business, so we get reels of wire in big bulk. Some of our customers want wire in much smaller quantities than we order, so we are able to pass some savings on to them.

Anything for a customer is supposed to be coded MPS MRP item, whether we manufacture or purchase.

Child items that do not go directly to customers, whether we make them, or purchase them, we not code them MPS MRP items, but that's how we do it. We have some items we both purchase and manufacture ... it depends on the volume we need, which is most economical.

We have items with minimum inventory safety stock ... when their inventory drops below that quantity on items coded correctly, then MPS MRP calls for order(s) to replenish the supply.

We are not using forecasting, but if we were, it is my understanding that MPS MRP would tell us to build to meet what the forecast calls for, assuming right system parameters setup to use forecast, and our planning is within appropriate date range.

In normal product structure, there are bunches of purchased items. Some of these are used as raw materials in manufacturing, and some are resold to customers.

Within BPCS there is the capability of using outside vendor to do some work for us, which we have, which can be handled several different ways.

In this scenario, you could have some purchased raw materials, manufacture some sub-assembly, send it to the outside vendor for their work, then it returns, and you do more manufacturing. Well when it returns from the outside vendor, one of the ways to handle this in BPCS is to have a Purchase Order for the outside vendor stuff, but it is tied to a shop order to make the whatever that will be sent to the outside vendor.

When we get an order for an item, whether it is a customer order, shop order, resupply order, you name it, that drives MRP the rest of the requirements, provided the parent item is coded correctly for MPS MRP to pay attention.

We have some "problems" with stuff driven negative, inventory, allocations.
If the inventory is driven negative, BPCS is being told we need to replenish to zero.
If the allocations driven negative, BPCS is being told we not need as much.
We are on the watch out for negatives in unwanted places, like costs.

Hi, Thanks for the reply. Need some clarification on this. Is it that generally, Finished Product or End Item and/or those intermediates (child items) having spares demand are ONLY MPS while rest of the items in BOM struture (including manufactured as well as purchased) are non-MPS ? What makes it to MPS, is it Independent Demand or which criteria ? or is it that those items having Production Plan, Forecast, Customer Order, are only MPS ? Child MANUFACTURED items, being dependent on its parent demand, are necessarily be considered as non-MPS ? Thanks & Regards, Prashanth On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 Derek Nickless wrote : >It's not mandatory that any items must be Master Scheduled as MPS is just a >planning tool that you should set up in a way that best suits your business. >Conversely, you could set up all items to be Master Scheduled. > >-----Original Message----- > From: bpcs-l-bounces+dnickless=idvelocity.com@xxxxxxxxxxxx >[mailto:bpcs-l-bounc es+dnickless=idvelocity.com@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of p >d >Sent: 29 August 2005 12:36 >To: bpcs-l-request@xxxxxxxxxxxx >Cc: BPCS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx >Subject: [BPCS-L] MPS & non-MPS items > > >Hi, > >Is it mandetory that manufactured (child) items be Master Scheduled (MPS >items) ? > >So also, can purchased item be MPS item ? > >regards, >Prashanth > > > > >-- >This is the SSA's BPCS ERP System (BPCS-L) mailing list >To post a message email: BPCS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx >To subscribe, unsubscribe, or change list options, >visit: http://lists.midrange.com/mailman/listinfo/bpcs-l >or email: BPCS-L-request@xxxxxxxxxxxx >Before posting, please take a moment to review the archives >at http://archive.midrange.com/bpcs-l. > >Delivered-To: prd2005@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx