Not USER training but MANAGER training.
Any time the system is sluggish because some user job hogging the system running interactive that logically belongs in batch, and can in fact be run in batch.

Notify the user responsible, and the MANAGER of that user, and then tell the OTHER users that the person responsible works in so & so's department. Pretty soon, the manager of so & so department will see to it that the people in that department get the proper training, or else management collectively will inform you that this is not something that bothers them any more.

In my experience, not all batch jobs run interactive are a problem.
Certain programs are a problem.
* A poorly written query that joins ITH (2 million records) with CMF (1/2 million records) with something else, that if run on JOBQ will be done in 5 minutes, but someone is running it interactive, and after 20 minutes everyone is asking why the 400 is locked up
* Our system can only support a limited number of heavy batch jobs running on different JOBQ at same time, so we make modifications to push certain heavy duty tasks onto their own JOBQ
* Certain programs I have modified so that no one can run them interactive ... it was simpler to get the modification done than argue with everyone
Modification / Training to resolve those programs

When the system gets clogged thanks to very high demand on interactive, there is a message that goes to DSPLOG ... I wrote a CL to capture hits by that message, security violations, files filling up, and other events of greatest interest, which I look at every few days ... so I know when it happening, how often, related circumstances, do we need to do something about it

I don't want to have to change one program at a time either
I was contemplating reading source code into a program that would look for certain patterns and make certain substitutions that would include comments what got done
This to fix some systemic bugs in BPCS RPG
not a project I am enthusiastic about tackling

We are mixed mode version 6.04 (apr cum) heavily modified.

Is there a global parameter to stop users from submitting interactive jobs?

Question is from a manager here:
> I would like to prevent users from running jobs interactively. Is there a BPCS system setting that can be set to only allow users to run jobs in batch or is there a way to mass update BPCS programs to only allow the run in batch option? I don't want to have to change one program at a time.

Thanks!

--
 please take a moment to review the archives
at http://archive.midrange.com/bpcs-l.

-
Al Macintyre http://www.ryze.com/go/Al9Mac
Find BPCS Documentation Suppliers http://radio.weblogs.com/0107846/stories/2002/11/08/bpcsDocSources.html