Marc wrote:
(I am new to this system, I might add).

Marc
I suggest you might want to start a separate thread topic on topic related to new BPCS users finding documentation, manuals, education, user conferences etc. what all is out there to help a person new to this system rapidly gain a good understanding of how it works, what it can and cannot do easily. You might also search the BPCS archives, as this is a topic that has come up from time to time in the past.

Everything you ask for is possible, but it requires work by various people in your company, and financial expenditures that may not be desired by other entities in the corporation.

For example, we have a set of product structures in which we combine similar work for many different customers because that is efficient in terms of setup time and the fact that our machinery can be set to make thousands of parts a minute if making same part, but setup takes half an hour. If that is not a reality for your business, then there is nothing to prevent you from having a product structure in which the parts are uniquely named by customer.

Let's suppose end item for customer is 1A7X
Its components might be 1A7X-A 1A7X-B 1A7X-C and so forth
in which you have a system of naming that makes sense to your manufacturing process
then every part you make has as its first few characters, an item that is unique to end customer part #, or perhaps use 2-3 letters meaning the customer, and stick that someplace constant location on the item #

If all your manufactured items were identified that way, then 100% shop orders by customer.
But getting your number system to that reality could be a big ordeal.

-
Al Macintyre http://www.ryze.com/go/Al9Mac
Find BPCS Documentation Suppliers http://radio.weblogs.com/0107846/stories/2002/11/08/bpcsDocSources.html
BPCS/400 Computer Janitor at http://www.globalwiretechnologies.com/