Dear Jim  ~  response #6,

My response #1 asserted that SOX rubber meets the road
with PCAOB's interpretation of Sarbanes-Oxley for external
auditors. The Public Company Accounting Oversight Board's
Auditing Standards No. 2 includes 216 detailed requirements for
SOX auditors spread over +/- 110 pages. Here are 2 pages of
excerpts which I believe are a must-read for senior executives at
manufacturing companies:

http://www.unbeatenpathintl.com/pcaobdetails/source/1.html

The net finding is that PCAOB has given SOX auditors every
conceivable incentive to dig into infinitesimal BPCS business
process details. Think about this scenario from the viewpoint of
audit firm XPW who has been retained for your 2004 SOX audit:

     Lets say that XPW fails to find an internal control deficit in
     your BPCS product costing. Then in 2005 you retain a different
     firm (YDT) and they do discover that legacy BPCS problem.
     YDT concludes that it is material in the aggregate according to
     PCAOB requirements and they report it to your shareholders.
     Now, if your stock price goes down after the YDT report
     appears, what is XPW's professional liability to your
     shareholders?

I don't know the answer to that question --- but I would speculate
that external auditors want to avoid that question with very, very
thorough internal control audits across every BPCS process.

Unbeaten Path can prepare you for that degree of SOX scrutiny
with our Stitch-in-Time (tm) Internal Control Assessment.

http://www.unbeatenpathintl.com/stitchservices/source/1.html

Our assessment report arrives with a money-back guarantee of
professional quality and customer satisfaction.

By the way, if you are a common stock investor, heads up!
You may be interested in reading an essay which speaks to an
unintentional outcome from SOX: will a series of unfavorable
SOX audits "knock the legs out from under investor confidence
in the market"  ????  Here's the essay:

http://www.unbeatenpathintl.com/debriscloud/source/1.html

Please see these subsequent responses for BPCS/SOX topics:

  #7 ~~ information about our award-winning Stitch-in-Time (tm)
             Data Integrity software the enables you to respond to SOX
             auditor inquiries about the integrity of DB2 information.

  #8 ~~ introduction to several other clever and affordable
             Stocking Stuffers (tm) for SOX products designed to help
             enterprises prepare for Sarbanes-Oxley.

God bless,

Milt Habeck
Unbeaten Path International

Toll free North America:  (888) 874-8008
International voice: (262) 681-3151
European contact: (44) 1-737-824248
mhabeck@xxxxxxxxxx
www.unbeatenpathintl.com