Roger,

You're forgetting PCs. The command line solution only works when there are only
dumb terminals. As soon as you introduce PCs into the equation, BPCS users with
traditional membership of the SSA group profile have ALL access to all the BPCS
Database files. So in theory they could change or delete them.

Some users (mainly pharmaceutical ones) have solved this by changing the way
BPCS security works, and using 'adopted authority' (another iSeries security
feature) instead of the Group profile. But it's a lot of work to set up. Other
users have made use of 'Exit programs' - another iSeries feature that also
needs a lot of work. Other users have given their biggest ODBC users (usually
the accounts dept) profiles that are not part of the SSA group for PC work, and
hoped that the other BPCS users don't have enough PC knowledge to do any damage
(this will not pass the auditors though!!)

You also need to ensure the PCs themselves are controlled - with standard
software and settings and policies.

Hope this helps,

Clare

Clare Holtham
Director, Small Blue Ltd - Archiving for BPCS
Web: www.smallblue.co.uk
IBM Certified AS/400 Systems Professional
E-Mail: Clare.Holtham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Mobile: +44 (0)7960 665958