We have in BPCS 405 CD sometimes after production started, the customer requirements fluctuate, so the order was for 500 but we make 250 and want to stop there, or we have to interrupt some setup for something more urgent, and the interrupted job got 450 done out of 500 and we not want to do the last 50 on THAT order.

The fix is not exactly intuitive so with people turnover there is risk of forgetting how to get all the inventory and labor correct without causing a variance.
1. Downsize the shop order with SFC540 maintenance to the quantity that was actually made.
In your case, change the quantity 100 order to the 98 you actually made.
2. Enter a zero transaction in SFC600 ... made zero quantity, had zero scrap, did it in zero hours.
When this transaction is posted, BPCS sees that the order is for 98, we made 98, we consumed materials to make 98, so it closes all the operations and the overall order. There are no cost variations.

, you wrote:
i have a related question. version 6.1.1. i want to manually close shop
orders but continually get a message stating that the shop order cannot
be closed (outside operation not complete or fully costed). i understand
the outside operation not being complete and i think i understand why
bpcs will not let you close a shop order if an OP PO associated with
that order is not fully costed (it has to do with updating actual cost
fields for the work order in CST900 at month end.)

we have lots of OP operations such as plating, passivating, etc. so it
is very common for a work order to have OP operations.

suppose i cut a work order for 100 pieces, due to set-up scrap, etc, i
might get 98 finished on the work order. since there is a balance
remaining open i have to use the F21 function to close the work order.
but the invoicing for the OP operation can take a couple of weeks to get
entered. thus when i want to close the work order i can't due to it
being uncosted.

how do others handle this situation?