Dear Al, I understand the concept of zero value in your inventory but how
do you handle depletion of inventory and addition to inventory and type of
transactions.  Secondly,  how do you handle purchase orders, receipts of
inventory to your books,  to cost bill of material and payment to
supplier.
IN our scenario, we will  have the supplier fill an 18,000 tank not
invoiced in a separate warehouse in BPCS for transfer to "day tanks" for
our use but looking to minimize manual transactions to transfer in BPCS
and handle PO receipt etc for inventory valuing and payment of invoices. I
am thinking of using some kind of blanket Purchase Order,  zero value as
no commitment until we use the material.  Where I am fuzzy on is handling
transactions, visibility of consignment inventory not on our books.  Also
this supplier will be operating in a VOMI (vendor owned and managed
inventory) environment, they get telemetry readings daily and are
responsible to keep product in the tank without running out.

Thanks
Teunis Eversen
Sika Corporation
eversen.teunis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
201-933-8800

message: 3
date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 19:03:58 -0500
from: Alister Wm Macintyre <macwheel99@xxxxxxxxxxx>
subject: Re: Consignment Inventory

We are also 405 CD
We have supplier owned inventory mixed in with OUR inventory.
We use a particular item class to designate that it is consignment
inventory, and we store it at zero cost.  I grant you that GAAP might not
agree because it really does have value, and it is in our building and
grounds. I think there may be an insurance liability to be able to show
the
value of what we have in our possession, even though not taxable.
With our approach the inventory is indistinguishable from other inventory
needed by MRP shop orders erc.  The only distraction is reports showing
inventory with zero cost may need adjustment to recognize that item class
is A-Ok as zero, and in fact correct any that get costed in error.
We use warehouses for 4 categories of inventory:
Raw Material storage; Ready for Shipping; WIP; awaiting QC decision.

-
Al Macintyre  http://www.ryze.com/go/Al9Mac
Find BPCS Documentation Suppliers
http://radio.weblogs.com/0107846/stories/2002/11/08/bpcsDocSources.html