Mitch - on the version upgrade - definitely look at the archives - as I
recollect -
1. security - some problems with running level 30.
2. an lpar or two from IBM.

Here is an email I had had handy; again the archives using v5r2 should get you
a good flavor. Also - are you migrating from v5r1?

Hi Steve, We have migrated from V4R3 to V5R1 a couple of months ago and forgot
address APAR#: II12963. We had serious problems with order entry in BPCS 6.1.01.
After handling the instructions of this APAR# our problem was solved. So be
warned !!.

Good Luck,
Peter

                    "Steve Segerstrom"
                    <SSegerstrom@inter       To:     <bpcs-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
                    Sent by:                 Subject:     AS/400 upgrade to v5r2
                    bpcs-l-admin@midra
We are migrating to version 5.2 from version 4.5. We are BPCS 6.04; apr cum;
heavily modified.

Any issues upgrading to V5r2?? Thanks in advance.

Here is what I know for upgrading to version v5r1:

1. Test on upgrade: queries and FORMS. See this web site; pay particular
attention to APAR#: II12963:  Try
http://www-912.ibm.com/supporthome.nsf/document/20300257.  Select "Search
Software Problems (APARS)" from the first box w/ drop down arrow; hit go.
>From the next screen, put in BPCS as the search criteria.  Hope this works
out.

2. Everyone who upgrades to V5R1 and has BPCS V6 or V8 must read IBM's Info
APAR II12963 for running BPCS on the AS/400, and then order and install
those recommended PTFs. There are some which have special instructions to
follow. There is a notice in the Product Bulletins section of OGS Online
which mentions further details about this Info APAR. It is very important
to do this, or you will most definitely have BPCS program errors. However,
I have not heard of any issue with data integrity problems at the database
level. Many of our systems at SSA GT have been updated to V5R1 and we did
not experience the issue you describe. Genyphyr Novak SSA Global
Technologies

3. > Alma Did you install CUM package C1114510 or later?  Ensure that you
do  if you have not already done so.   There is also a database group PTF
that you should get as well.   This database group ptf deals  with
temporary objects building up and eventually crashing the iSeries.  I do
not remember the precise name of the database group  PTF but it is included
with group PTF SF99146 for Websphere.   Andrew From alma: Did anyone
encounter any data problems such as data  being shifted to right by 7 bytes
or so, thus  producing unreadable info?  This started to happen  after our
OS upgrade to V5R1.  We also installed the  required PTF to address the
enhancements done to some  SQL commands.  Any guidance will be very
appreciated.

4. EDI package extol needs to be upgraded:Release V5R1 of the OS/400
operating system contains many new features, functions, and other marked
changes over prior releases.  One feature, "Increase library list for an
active job", expands the number of libraries supported in the user portion
of the library list from 25 to 250, and requires some adjustments on the
part of most packaged software applications, EXTOL included.  Support for
OS/400 V5R1 is included in the current cumulative PTF package for EXTOL
Integrator Release 5.5.  If you are planning to upgrade to OS/400 V5R1,
contact EXTOL customer support at 800-542-7284 with the date planned for
the upgrade, and the current CD will be sent.

5. IBM APAR's need to be evaluated, especially: APAR#: II12963  Component:
INFOAS400 - AS/400 Information
           Abstract SSA/GT BPCS ON THE AS/400 REQUIRED PTF LIST FOR
V4R4/V4R5/V5R1
at http://archive.midrange.com/bpcs-l.

This message, including attached files, may contain confidential
information from THETFORD and is intended only for the use by the
individual and/or the entity to which it is adressed. Any unauthorized use,
dissemination of, or copying of the information contained herein is not
allowed and may lead to irreparable harm and damage for which you may be
held liable. If you receive this message in error or if it is intended for
someone else, please notify the sender by returning this e-mail immediately
and delete the message.

Although this email and any attachments are believed to be free of any
virus, or any other defect which might affect any computer or IT system
into which they are received and opened, it is the responsibility of the
recipient to ensure that they are virus free and no responsibility is
accepted by THETFORD for any loss or damage arising in any way from receipt
or use thereof.
THETFORD is liable for neither the proper and complete transmission of the
information contained in this communication nor for any delay in its
receipt.

at http://archive.midrange.com/bpcs-l.