We are 6101 MM and have never done traditional cycle counting.  I guess it
depends on your goals and needs, but minimizing dollar variances, which is
the goal of cycle counting, doesn't necessarily best serve a manufacturing
facilty.  A missing ten cent shipper can just as easily stop production as a
missing large dollar component.  And chasing round the entire warehouse or
warehouses, in our case, in search of certain high dollar parts is just plain
inefficient.  We also have customer owned components for custom jobs valued
at zero dollars.  So, what we have always done are mini-inventories arranged
to count every /location/ quarterly.  This scheme together with a great deal
of zeal and discipline from our warehouse staff has served to keep our
location accuracies in the 98-99%  range for many years.  It is efficient
because we count whole levels of given aisles.  When discrepancies are
discovered, instead of the easy adjustment the causes are researched and
transactions are done that should have been done to begin with so that Shop
Orders, other locations, etc, are kept in balance.  The last resort is a
'Y' (Cycle Count) transaction.

One of our cost accountants assigns the rows and levels to be counted each day
and is in charge of reconciliation.  We have a report that prints out a count
sheet for each aisle-level and another that prints the reconciliation sheet.
We also have open location reports that can be physically compared with the
racks easily without machinery.  All locations are bar-coded as are all
components and finished goods.  We use RF guns for put-away and pulling for
production.  No back flushing.  Everything is lot controlled and finished
goods are quality controlled as well.

Vince Rowe
MIS
Marietta Corp.