We also do Physical Inventory in BPCS 405 CD

We basically modified the INV620 job that creates physical inventory tags.

If BPCS says nothing there, and the nothing there tag does not get keyed into, then when you dump the tags back into BPCS, the nothing there replaces nothing there with nothing and everything is swell. But if there is something there, and we key in the something there, that replaces the nothing there, and we are happy.

Our modifications to INV620 were that we did not want to print out the nothing there tags, we did want to print tags continuous tag #s for audit control, we also have blank tags for doing inventory on stuff BPCS did not know about.

We created our own work file so we could print the tags in sequence other than BPCS vanilla
Instead of running INV620, we run INV620 then INV620B so that we print the tags for inventory and not print the tags for zeros.

We added some more info like extra description to help with the identification of parts.
We have a field we use to track customer identification for end items ... or rather we had ... we just imported a bunch of new business which is not yet coded that way. So if that not resolved real soon our next physical will be a bigger hassle than last year's.

Something for you to think about while designing your custom inventory tags.
If BPCS says we got some quantity, you probably want to print a tag.
But do you want to print the quantity BPCS thinks we have, or would you rather the people doing the counting did not know that.

If it is printed, and what they count agrees, then you not need to key in that tag with the correction.

So the trade off is between honesty in counts, and productivity in keying in.

We made our own reports for checking veracity of batches.
And watch out for people who key in wrong tag # ... the batch check shows something needs to be fixed (rekeyed) but not what got keyed wrong.

We can have some WIP that is between BPCS discrete items, and that WIP has already had labor and backflushing done against some of it, but not yet on the operation that not quite finished yet. So one of our steps is to release replacement shop orders that have been mucked with so that as more work is reported on that WIP, it does not mess up the physical.

There was a miscommunication when we printed up our custom tags, which in turn led to a DDS fix to the PRTF.

Note that you need to combine Physical with End Month.
Basically we shut down one of our factories a few days before end-month fiscal to do physical inventory, but the other factory going like normal at same time.
Friday nite we do our end month check list up to a point ... INV900 which combines all activity into the opening balance for the new month.
Saturday we do the final adjustments on getting data for physical inventory in A-Ok, then run the updates that replace opening balance with results of the physical, then do the rest of the end month check list.

One nite we get the last of the transactions entered for that factory, then we can generate the tags for that factory or warehouse, and next day they can be counting using those tags.

Note that as inventory moves in and out of combination item-warehouse-location (we do not use lot control) it creates records in IWI ILI files, but over time many of those go zero and can clog up people access to the good data. There are INV97* jobs that can be run during End Month that clear out all the zeroed combinations. These jobs take a while to run and are buggy, but are worth doing the month before Physical.

So for example, we might plan on doing a Physical the 3 days of the Thanksgiving week where Thu Fri the people are off for holiday, and by prearrangement everyone off the 400 until the accounting and physical inventory crew done, and they might not be doing this on Thu.

Well in Oct End Fiscal we want to run that INV97* job that gets rid of the zero location combinations, so there's a minimum to be dealing with in the November physical.

Dee Dee wrote:
Silly as that sounds, that is the case.  What is really aggravating is that
their (BPCS) variance reports show results/totals as if these quantities
would be zeroed out...  We are on 405 CD; had to make extensive mods to the
BPCS Physical Inventory programs to make them work - one being a program to
produce zero tags...

DeeDee Virgei
Nelson Stud Welding, Inc.
7900 West Ridge Rd