From:   Al Mac [mailto:macwheel99@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent:   Monday, August 25, 2003 1:07 PM
To:     SSA's BPCS ERP System
Subject:        Re: Anyone entering BPCS Forecast have the Prorate Forecast
flag  set  on?

DeeDee

Some more thoughts ... hope I not being unconstructive here

We often get customer requirements on new parts before the customer
approves the samples.  We enter BOM and customer requirements, so that the
MRP will plan the raw materials in time, then enter the Routings when the
samples are approved.  We have a hard time differentiating for our factory,
which customer orders are not REAL yet, because samples not yet
approved.  There has been some experimentation, placing "S" in buyer
planner code when sample not yet approved, but looks to me like that is not
yet working, because I have seen shop orders released on such parts that
are not yet ready.

We have had evolving business needs in our mainly make to order reality, in
which we recently have been doing some things differently.  We have a
growing volume of customers in which we need to have a safety stock of
finished product, that we send out when the customer asks for it with
almost no lead time, compared to how long it takes us to make it.

To make this work, we are using minimum balance safety stock in CIC
file.  Sometimes questions have come up, when we moved product from which
factory made it (new factory needs CIC safety stock, old factory not need
that any more), and I have discovered that CIC safety stock demand does not
show up on MRP300 ... you trace the pegging and it goes invisible.  I am
wondering if other requirements from other sources in BPCS can also go
invisible, whether you looking INV300 DRP300 etc.  As we implement changes
in how we do things, we need to be alert to the risk of invisibility in
what's going on why.

We manufacture parts in one facility to be used in another, so they have to
be item master coded manufactured parts.  In the facility where they used,
we have some new staff who are unfamiliar with our item # systems item
classes and so forth, who sometimes have something to be made on short
notice, they look at the BOM and release shop orders on purchased and other
parts that should not be in that situation if they had better understanding
of our systems.  Oh yes training issues abound.

-
Al Macintyre
BPCS/400 Computer Janitor at http://www.globalwiretechnologies.com/

>Thank you very much for your responses so far.
>
>We are set up similar to Al, where we run MRP nightly and don't use order
>policy K...
>
>Robert, we have a mix of both stock items and made to order; but I don't
>think the made to order items will stop us from using the prorated forecast
>- we are trying to enforce having our sales employees enter customer orders
>for those items, which would then drive requirements.  If we do end up
>forecasting them, we'll make the start and end dates the same...  I
couldn't
>agree more on it being an issue of training and all.
>
>I've set up our test environment to run a prorated forecast.  In a
nutshell,
>requirements appear prorated, but orders don't (most apparent on MRP300
>screen --Planning/Pegging Inquiry).  The main reason we are forecasting is
>to have more reliable MRP results; our next step is to start using PUR640
PO