Before we went to BPCS405CD, several people were given tasks of checking what ERP was out there that competed effectively with SSA. I looked at stuff on the 400 and other midrange platforms such as UNIX. Another guy started with what we could get on Microsoft based world that was THE SAME as what we had with BPCS/36 ... 35 users pushing up, etc. and the cost came out to be MORE than what it cost us to get BPCS/36 from SSA for Purchase price, before we even got to operating cost on a platform that goes down thousands of times as often as the 400, comes laden with virus bait and all the problems associated with ... well bottom line, management did not believe the figures, suspected someone of rigging them to make some point, so went out and got competitive bids from several PC-based outfits and learned that when you dealing with big business, the Intel solution is much more expensive than the IBM solution.

Tom:

I've been in the IT field for a very long time.  When I started punch cards
had round holes and 90 columns.  While the punch cards have gone the way of
the dinosaurs some things have not. One of those that has not disappeared
over the decades is the failure to look at Total Cost of Ownership (TOC)
when contemplating a platform switch.  The failure to look at TOC has bitten
more than one MIS manager in a certain part of their anatomy.

For example:
* The Windows world is very much a flat earth model  - each app runs on its
own server.  Where you have one server now, there will be 10's of servers
tomorrow.  By the way, good heavy duty Intel based machines don't come
cheap, even from Dell.
* Check the uptime statistics for Windows servers.  Gartner and others can
provide the numbers.  The last I heard the stat was at about 98.5 percent.
Assuming a 24 hour a day, 5 days a week operation, month in and month out
means you are down just short of 30 hours per month on each server.  To
provide for this level of outage sites generally set a duplicate server in
place on critical applications.  Oh yes, this up/down time stat is the
reason why IPL-ing a Windows box is no big deal  - Windows sys admins do it
all the time.  When was the last time you IPL-ed your AS400?  And it's not
the hardware.  I have clients running UNIX on the same hardware who go 1 to
2 years between IPL events.
* Check the staffing levels of Intel architecture sites.  In my experience
they generally carry twice the staff found at an AS400 site.
* Do not forget Windows does not come with the DB engine.  Whether it's
Oracle or SQL server or MySQL or Progress or DB2 there is an extra cost to
license the DB stuff for each server.
* What do you plan to do about the language "barrier"?  Frankly, RPG is a
dirty word in the Windows world.  And while C++, java, SQL, etc. are all
capable languages they all require training and ramp up time - read more
money.
* And the biggest hurtle of all: the conversion of your business to the new
platform will cost 3 times as much as budgeted and take twice as long as
planned.

When management looks at the TOC I suspect they will determine the
risk/reward ratio simply does not support the change.  Yes, lots of sites
take on the challenge; that's where the "cost 3 times as much as planned and
take twice as long as allowed" comes from.  It's also why the IT manager's
door in a few shops is a revolving door.

Roy Luce

Main:   847-540-9635
Cell:   847-910-0884
Fax:    208-330-9032