Ravi

MPS MRP is a complex topic.
Have you looked at ANY of the documentation on MPS MRP?
Go to any BPCS menu then F1 (universal help) and scroll through what the various options do (summary story)
Take an option like MRP500 but instead of filling in the prompt screen, F1 then F2 to see the help explanation of what this task does.
The stuff in BPCSDOC that is specific to implementing this application, the prerequisites so that it will work right.
The formal documentation on ERP and BPCS that companies can buy that explain how to work MRP.
Do you understand the job functions of what APICS calls a Master Scheduler?
Get to a command line and WRKOBJ K* F4 ... you want to look at the physical FILES in your BPCS files library that start with the letter K ... get a list of them. In my version V405CD, all the files created and updated by MPS MRP start with the letter K.. You can then use DSPFFD or Query/400 or some other tool to look at a layout of how those files are populated.
You might also review BPCS_L archives past discussions of MRP nuances.

The input is EVERYTHING that impacts PLANNING that is done at your company.
Your engineering (BOM and lead times in particular) had better be 99%+ accurate.
Do you have FACILITIES? There are several fields to populate there for MRP to work right.
What kinds of ORDERS do you have?
We have Customer orders, Inter-facility orders, Purchase orders, Factory Shop orders, outside vendor operations.
All those orders, and input to those orders, and changes to inventory, are part of the input to MPS MRP.
You might want to explore MRP300 some SFC items you familiar with then F13 pegging back trace to where the requirement came from ... if it seems to go nowhere, then check out Safety Stock in CIC file.

We use MRP and JIT in the creation of our shop orders and dispatch reports.
We use MRP to help us plan purchase orders and inter-facility orders (DRP).

Before running MRP or CAP we run something that adjusts values in CIC and KPF, based on item type, because BPCS defaults are not granular enough for our needs.

We run MRP500 MRP600 full regeneration every nite.
We follow this with CAP twice a week.
Once a week we change the planning start date.
Our buckets are 7 day weeks.

-
Al Macintyre http://www.ryze.com/go/Al9Mac
Find BPCS Documentation Suppliers http://radio.weblogs.com/0107846/stories/2002/11/08/bpcsDocSources.html
BPCS/400 Computer Janitor at http://www.globalwiretechnologies.com/

Dear All,

I am working on V 6.X as End User on SFC / INV and am new to MPS & MRP. It will be helpful to me if someone can give me the details of all the inputs (Data from Master files) that is required to run MPS and MRP. Also give details of the output (Files/Reports/orders) generated after this process.

Rgds...Ravi