From: bpcs-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:bpcs-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]On
Behalf Of Lopez, Eduardo (Tijuana)
Sent: Thursday, July 10, 2003 3:54 AM
To: 'bpcs-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx'
Subject: Replication between as/400 and Sql Server 2000

Hi to all,

I have a big "dilemma"... hope somebody can help... this is my situation

We want to built a custom data warehouse with SQL Server for the QMS, API
and CAP modules... why use SQL Server?...

   * We already have the license for SQL Server 2000 Enterprise this means
that we can use Analysis Services for free... the product/solutions from IBM
and also from Cognos are very expensive!!
   * We'll be very integrated with Microsoft Office... using for example
Pivot Tables, the Office Web Components, etc... and for free because we
already have the licenses for Microsoft Office
   * The time to implement it is very short... three months!!
   * We already have all the tools from the Windows side
   * I'm very skilled in SQL Server

Please follow..
I'm evaluating a replication tool... the tool name is DB2Motion from Hit
Software... this tool operates in two modes refresh and mirroring... the
first one uses the DB2 Journal feature which is very cool because we can
have in some parts of the data warehouse "real-time" data!! and the other
mode is using primary keys on the tables to get the last records (not
real-time data)... and now my "dilemma"

   * I can't use the DB2 Journal feature because it'll impact to much the
as/400... so this means that I can't use "real-   time" data... that's fine
for now...
   * I can't use primary keys because the BPCS tables doesn't have primary
keys!!... Ohh my god why?

the only "good" option that I can think is using the ODBC driver from Hit
Software or the one from IBM's Client/Access with the Data Transformation
Services (DTS) feature from SQL Server

Can somebody guide me on any more options... there has to be another way...

Thank you,

Eduardo Lopez
Software Developer
Tyco Adhesives

US Phone (San Diego, CA)
+1  (619) 424-4244
Mexican Phone (Tijuana, MX)
+52 (664) 647-4359

"Man finds God behind every door that science manages to open"
"El hombre encuentra a Dios detrás de cada puerta que la ciencia logra
abrir"
Albert Einstein