Jim

I am at home away from the Office BPCS 405 CD Mixed Mode for the 3 day July 4 weekend but remember SOME stuff that may be helpful. We also have ORD and NOT Promotions and Deals.

It is easy to get confused in BPCS when the same terminology used in different applications with different implications.

Special Pricing is NOT just Promotions and Deals.
Forecasting is NOT just the Forecasting module.

When you say PRO ... I think that is application prefix for Promotions and Deals software.
If in your System Parameters (SYS800 on SYS menu) you do not have PRO turned on, then the various ORD programs that access the PRO stuff are not going to be able to correctly get at the PRO stuff, which is why when you in ORD you get that error message.

Incidentally, any time you get an error message in BPCS, put the cursor on the error message line and do F1 help ... sometimes the additional information is helpful, sometimes not, but you need to know about this capability.

You need to use pricing that is NOT involved with the Promotions and Deals.
There are a few BPCS glitches
I think the fact that you were able to run PRO140D program when you have not purchased the PRO application from SSA is an example of one of those glitches.

Go into INV100 item maintenance and see if you see a field for LIST PRICE ... this would be the default price for that item. Of course all our end items happen to be the part number of our customers since we are Make to Order, so that makes it simpler than some other types of companies.

Go to the ORD menu and see if you see an option for SPECIAL PRICING, whose STRUCTURE is defined in your SYS800 system parameters, and for us is outside of Promotions and Deals. I found it useful to create a query over this ESP (I think) Special Price file so from a BPCS User Menu someone can key in item # or customer # and get rapid access to what the price structure is for that.

For example you can setup a base price for low quantities ordered, one discount rate at say 250 pieces or more, and on up the quantity scale. You can also put date ranges of effectivity on this, as you would for engineering changes, so that if you have some special promotion for some customers to place orders before some date, this can be put in the file so your people not have to remember whatever the rules were.

Something we used special pricing for many years ago, but not at present ... we make wiring harnesses which are very dependent on copper whose price is quite volatile on the world market. With some customers our deal was that we charted the copper content of their parts ... how much was copper, and we adjust their price up and down by the impact of change in price of that raw material. We accomplished that through the BPCS Special Price File that is inside the ORD application.

This is an extremely powerful tool in ORD, which a lot of people have a problem wrapping their minds around at first, and I suggest you read the documentation on it via the DOC menu, or PDM access to file BPCSDOC which should be in your BPCS library list. Now ORD is a huge application, and its documentation is huge, which has some access consequences. I found it prudent to sub-divide our ORD documentation into logical digestible portions.

Another thing I have found useful is to print out the entire collection of HELP TEXT for a program ... the source for that for us is in a file QPNLSRC (PNL means Help Panels) ... your BPCS Logic Manual (Member SSALOG00 in BPCSDOC) will tell you what library has all the source ... for us it is BPCS405CDS (S for Source). Also QDDSSRC for us (I not know about you) has the source for the individual screens ... I vaguely remember that V6 BPCS does not make the source available.

Well with SDA you can get at all the screens of a program without running the program, and without having access to the source code. So by a variety of tools you can get at
* Printed images of all the possible screens in a program
* A print out of the HELP text associated with each screen
* without actually running the program to navigate to those screens
* Stick that in a binder for user navigation and training reference
Well now from that info, we can reverse engineer how the heck to get to which screens
In other words we are at screen-A (place the order) and we want to get to screen-X (get the right price)
We can create a map for our users ... here is the shortest route to each of the screens you might want to access.
We have found this exercise to be extremely useful because it teaches us about BPCS capabilities available to us that are not explicitly spelled out in the documentation.

Hello All,

We are on BPCS V6.1.01 Mixed Mode on AS400:

We have order entry product installed. But we DON't
have promotion and deals product.

We want to use item customer specific price at the
time of order entry. I defined item customer specific
price using special pricing using PRO140D program.

But at the time of order entry system is not bringing
the specific price. If i select Special price option
at order entry, it gives message no special price
found.

Pl specify the procedure to use item-customer specific
price.
a) Should i specify some parameter at system parameter
screen ?
b) Should i need to define something at customer
master ?
c) should i change pricing source/something else at
order entry screen to get item customer specific price
??

Appreciate your help/adivce....

Jim

__________________________________ Do you Yahoo!? SBC Yahoo! DSL - Now only $29.95 per month! http://sbc.yahoo.com _______________________________________________ This is the SSA's BPCS ERP System (BPCS-L) mailing list To post a message email: BPCS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx To subscribe, unsubscribe, or change list options, visit: http://lists.midrange.com/mailman/listinfo/bpcs-l or email: BPCS-L-request@xxxxxxxxxxxx Before posting, please take a moment to review the archives at http://archive.midrange.com/bpcs-l.

-
Al Macintyre http://www.ryze.com/go/Al9Mac
Find BPCS Documentation Suppliers http://radio.weblogs.com/0107846/stories/2002/11/08/bpcsDocSources.html
BPCS/400 Computer Janitor at http://www.globalwiretechnologies.com/
Part time may get commission from some BPCS vendors for helping them ... I will now say in a post if the product I commenting on is also one potentially involved with this ... not that I have made anything from this yet.