I am on 405 CD Mix Mode, but I suspect V6 pretty much same in what I talking about here.

INV900 is one of the month end steps.
It has been discussed before in the BPCS_L archives.
One of the things it does is get rid of inventory history records that are older than your SYS800 says to keep in days. You have the option of copying those records to some backup medium, and what you wiping out also ends up in the file YTH if you doing that.
This is an area a lot of companies have modified because if you have media problems, it can wreck INV900. Much nicer to capture the write off to a work file to be separately saved later.

We no longer save those old records, but when we did, I modified the label on the media to a name like TH200306 (last 2 digits being the month that they got written off) so we could see which save came from which EOM.

You can delete the old stuff, but you will need a program to recalculate the field in IIM that is used by INV300 history and many other places to navigate ITH. INV900 does this for you.

You also have to deal with this issue if you add anything to ITH other than via strict BPCS.

Look at the post that I made on the inactive items thread about an archiving tool.
In my opinion, by changing SYS800 to 365 days times some multiple years, then including INV900 in your month end procedure, you not need an archiving tool just for ITH.
But you might have special needs. Once upon a time we had people who wanted to track history of price changes in perpetuity, but no one else needed history more than one year. Base BPCS not support that, so we went with a modification. Archiving add-ons another way to accomplish that.

It is difficult for me to imagine any company in this boat, but let's suppose you do purge ITH more than 2 years old, and let's suppose you have a shop order that has been open for more than 2 years. When it comes time to close the order, if the inventory that was posted against it has been purged, then you can have a hassle. Ditto with FLT. Basically CST900 checks history of what went against that order (ITH FLT) to make sure that everything been posted that should be posted for the order to be finished. If that ITH or FLT got purged while the shop order was still open, CST900 will never find it.

I replaced SFC905 with another purge, in which if a shop order still exists, its FLT does not get purged.
-
Al Macintyre http://www.ryze.com/go/Al9Mac
Find BPCS Documentation Suppliers http://radio.weblogs.com/0107846/stories/2002/11/08/bpcsDocSources.html
BPCS/400 Computer Janitor at http://www.globalwiretechnologies.com/

That is a good solution.  The month end process will purge the transactions
to the YTH file and resequence the sequence number in the ITH record and
reset the last sequence number in the IIM.

If you have more than 99,999 transactions in the file for the same item this
will cause a duplicate sequence number resulting in a looping of INV300.

Charlie Borill
Richmond, Va.