From: bpcs-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:bpcs-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]On
Behalf Of Jose Torres
Sent: Friday, June 27, 2003 10:50 AM
To: bpcs-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Shop Orders and Inventory Accuracy

John;

I have to admit that I had to read your eMail about 5 times to really grasp
your concerns.  I also read Al comments and I agree with most of his
comments.  I may not be as specific and detailed as he was, but I'll make
some comments and I hope they will help you...

If I could summarize the opening argument in a sentence or two I would say
the following:  Computer systems have been in existance for a long time.
However, in order for them to be effective, complete and accurate data needs
to be provided at all times.  If your client does not believe this is a
MUST, they might as well shut the system down and go back to "hot lists" as
they may never realize the benefits of a computerized ERP system.

I strongly recommend to implement an MPS/MRP and Inventory Management and
Production Management (widelly known as MRPII) education program at your
client right away.  Based on your eMail, the things they are trying to do
really do not make any business sense and will be impossible to realize (not
in this life time anyway).  Basic concepts of Inventory Management, Master
Production Scheduling, Material Requirements Planning and Production
Execution control (including Bills of Materials) may not be understood and
if not understood, not considered absolutelly critical for the company to
operate and be successfull.

If your business is using an ERP package, and please note this does not only
apply to BPCS, there may be many things which are optional.  However, there
are others which are absolutelly critical for it to work.  In BPCS, for
example, the features and options functionality in Order Entry is optional
as this  better applies to certain kinds of industries .   Another example
could be the drop-shipment funcitonality between Purchasing and Order Entry.
  You only use these if they are applicable to you.

However, if you are going to use the bare minimum of BPCS production (and
you expect it to be any good) you MUST use inventory management, bills of
materials, routings and shop floor control.  Some people would even argue
that the Master Production Schedule (MPS), Material Requirements (MRP) and
Capacity Planning (CAP) modules are required.  These last three will
actually provide the future visibility you need to be on the market with the
"right product" at the "right time" and with the "right quantity" (not too
little to upset your customers, not too much to upset your financial people
by tying up your money in huge volumes of inventory).  Please do not kid
yourself, if your customer wants the numbers to be accurate, the ones senior
executives need to make tough business decisions, you have to have the bare
minimum.

If you don't have the bare minimum, how can anyone answer some of the
following questions:
1. How much do we have of product "123" ?, where is it ? Is it all selable
or do I have some in quarantine ? What is the value of such inventory ?
2. What is my cost (standard or actual it really does not matter much), so I
know what is the minimum I want to sell it for so I make my profit targets ?
3. What are my customers ordering ?  Of that, how much can I deliver today ?
  When can I deliver the rest ?
4. How much raw material and/or packaging components do I have, how much do
I need and when do I need it; in order to deliver the products just ordered
by my number 1 customer ?
5. What are my capacity requirements so I start planning for additional
shifts or over time (for example) in order to have the production done just
in time for my "peak" seasson ?

In summary, please consider the old "Garbe-in, Garbe-out" phrase.  If your
client is going to use a computer system to run their business, they need
complete and accurate information.  If not, well, it is just not worth
having it. People will soon find out the data is not accurate and will come
up with their own ways of running the operation.  Certainly not
computerized.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
Jose J. Torres - MS, CISA