Hi Phyllis,

What was the original problem you were trying to resolve? Did the either a
cume from IBM or SSA cause a sudden slow-down in performance? Did you also
apply the latest BMRs for that SSA program that was slowest?

What SQL statement was the chosen path being used for? That is a key
question, as all the other analysis will rest upon the SQL statement itself.

It is true that the optimizer will look at the most recently created paths
first, and all things being equal it will use the best match it finds first.
But you are saying all things were not equal, and that when it used the 2nd
path, performance was bad. I have also been told that SQL indexes can be
paged into memory in larger 'chunks' so are sometimes preferred over logical
files, depending on various factors.

Could be:
1. Optimizer is making a mistake (was IBM brought in to review?) since
performance is worse for one result and better for another
2. The SQL statement being executed is not specific enough about what it
wants (ordering or some other specification) to make a difference to the
optimizer for choosing between the 2 paths and the SQL statement could be
improved.

One would result in an IBM PTF, and the other would result in an SSA BMR.

The only way to really find the answer is to find the SQL statement in
question, and have either IBM or SSA support analyze why this has happened.
All else is conjecture.

Thanks,

Genyphyr Novak
SSA GT