Actually, if I understand properly, the "progress reports" need to be real
invoices, and they will be collected before the shipment actually happens.

It appears that what needs to be done is:

3 Type 8 invoices, one at each payment stage.
--> Type 8 affects AR, but not Sales or Inventory.
--> They will hit the A/R aging for the customer, and the payments can be
properly credited.

then, when the stuff is made and the payments received, ship the stuff with a
Type 2 order.
--> Type 2 affects Sales and Inventory, but not AR.

If you want it all to reflect to a single sales order, you may want to enter
Special lines for the 3 pre-payment steps and ship them.

Obviously, test this first!

Take care.