Genyphyr,

Apologies for the delay, I've been unavailable.  Comments inline...

In a message dated 2/10/03 11:51:59 PM Eastern Standard Time, novakg@xxxxxxxx
writes:

> I am an SSA GT person in house who understands iSeries security (I'm an
> ex-IBM Rochester geek in fact, so kinda got to know it a little bit while
> working where they invent the box). I also happen to years ago instigate
> the
> fixing of all the problems you are incorrectly complaining about in your
> note, and instigated changing our build process so that our new BPCS
> releases had the ability to set up this type of database security 'out of
> the box'.

Did not see this in the 6.1.02 release documents.

> Your answer is off-base, considering that we (SSA GT) fully support AS/400
> database security (via several BMRs (mainly 51582) which recompiled all our
> secured source programs to *OWNER authority checking) for all V6 and higher
> releases of BPCS and have done now for years.  The BPCS CD secured objects
> will also be recompiled with this new option if a customer will escalate
> BMR
> 62812.

Yes, but most don't want to secure by owner.  They either want to secure by
authorization list or by security reference objects in their CMS.

> I have repeatedly posted  information in detail to this group stating which
> BMRs to obtain for older BPCS releases to enable this function (and which
> also contain a hefty README. It is easy to secure your BPCS database from
> ODBC and any unauthorized user access by applying the security BMRs and
> following the README instructions to change some things in your
> environment.

Sorry, must have missed those.

> Please search the BPCS-L ARCHIVES or the SSA GT OGS Online web site BMR
> database, and you will find all BMRs required for setting up database
> security via use of programs with *OWNER authority and Adopt Authority
> *YES,
> as well as the required programs which access command line functions set to
> *USER and *NO, as well as a FULL OGS document stating to users the varied
> and sundry options for making this work for them (how to set your files,
> how
> to change the owner from SSA and how to NOT put the SSA Group Profile on
> your users profiles if you keep the database owner as SSA). On 6002 and
> 6004, you may want to look into command line access and escalate BMRs that
> were already completed on 6100 and 80 BPCS to secure this better, or if you
> have BPCS source, frankly it's pretty easy to do yourself.

Well, it's obviously been a couple of years since I looked in earnest for
this information.  After ten years of griping, I gave up.  Does this
documentation/BMR include files such as KFP and MBM that must have more
authority than all other files in the system due to CLRPFM usage?

> Ownership of BPCS objects by user SSA is most certainly NOT and has NOT for
> several years now, been a REQUIREMENT on supported release of V6 and higher
> BPCS (ie, 6002, 6004, 6100, 8000, 8100) due to these BMRs. New releases
> (8.0
> and up) are SHIPPED with this type of compile option on the program objects
> and install instructions contain an appendix explaining the varied options
> to set up this optional database security (appendix D, I believe on 8.1).

Yeah, but how many clients (LARGE clients) are running 8.0?

> If you do this to your database, there is no need to mess around with ODBC
> checking programs - the AS/400 database security will take care of it for
> you.

Thanks for your response, I'll check into it!

Regards,

Dean Asmussen
Enterprise Systems Consulting, Inc.
Fuquay-Varina, NC  USA
E-mail:  DAsmussen@xxxxxxx

"Teaching kids to count is fine, teaching them what counts is best." -- Bob
Talbert