From: bpcs-l-admin@midrange.com [mailto:bpcs-l-admin@midrange.com]On
Behalf Of Al Mac
Sent: Saturday, December 21, 2002 1:08 PM
To: bpcs-l@midrange.com
Subject: RE: Padding BPCS Fields

Summary
=======
We use operation 999 exclusively for final operation of end customer parts
for special purposes that would work for Paul's needs.  It is a NO
OPERATION which means no one in the factory needs to do anything for
operation 999.  You can set it to CONSUME ONE DAY, so that BPCS will
schedule everything else that is to be done to complete the day before the
day of shipping.

Once you have operation 999 seeded in all your end customer parts, it will
be very simple to later change the rules if ONE DAY is no longer what
management wants.

Detail story
========
As I have stated before, our end items that we sell customers all have a
final operation 999 for the purpose of some end of production clean up ...
different reasons than Paul but similar solution.

Down side of this is someone does need to make final transaction post to
operation 999 ... pack ship check A-Ok ... our production manager uses
SFC600 for this ... it is an operation calling for zero materials, zero
labor or machine time.

In our case we not want shop order purged prematurely ... there is
sometimes some clean up adjustment needed.  But it also makes blanket adj
fix it program easy.

Suppose we wanted to make 100% of operation 999 a standard move or queue
time of 1 day or 1/2 a day ... very simple RPG program vs. FRT file whose
operation is 999 ... alternatively we could have a different rule by
facility ... plus we have populated some other fields of other files so we
could look up what customer we make this for, complexity of wiring harness
... populate some differently according to business rules.

In your case, if you not yet have such an operation, and have to add it, I
strongly suggest you do like we have done ... operation 999 is exclusively
for this purpose, so that future fix it programs simplified.  Otherwise the
program would have to read item master plus routings to determine only
those items that are end items, get at only the operation that is the last
operation & in our case we use op status 3 additional description ... there
are logicals that access only the lines that have work centers, excluding
the additional notes stuff & it might be smart to have one that does
operations in reverse sequence for ease of accessing only the last
operation.

All of our operation 999's use the main assembly work center of the
corresponding facility.  I guess they could use a work center unique to
operation 999.  I not know work centers well enough to know if you could
slip a one day queue in there.  If so, then when changing the rules, there
would be just the one place to do it, no programming needed.

I am an RPG programmer, but right now I feeling a bit lazy (scrambling with
lots to do at my day job).
It can also be done with SQL.  Since I on the same version of BPCS as you
(405) except for facilities, I could send you some code to try out ... you
would need to TEST it in test environment since my programs not always work
perfect on first go.  Any number of other people can also do this for you.

I am not as sharp on SQL as I am on RPG.
I suspect it can be done with a single line of SQL code, but woe betide you
if you do el typo while keying an SQL command line.

Al Macintyre
BPCS/400 Computer Janitor at http://www.globalwiretechnologies.com/
See Al http://www.ryze.com/view.php?who=Al9Mac
Find BPCS Documentation Suppliers
http://radio.weblogs.com/0107846/stories/2002/11/08/bpcsDocSources.html

>Hi Al,
>
>You wrote: "You might want something like that in FRT, but first look at
the
>lead time fields in IIM."
>
>The reason I don't think lead time will work for me is the shop order due
>date is equaling the LRDTE even with data in the lead time field of IIM.
The
>CIC file is not relevant because I'm not planning by facility.
>
>We've used fix-it programs like you've described, but the trick here would
>be that it must update only the last operation of every finished item's
>router. I'm sure an RPG programmer could do it (I'm not an RPG programmer).
>
>Paul

MPS