From: bpcs-l-admin@midrange.com [mailto:bpcs-l-admin@midrange.com]On
Behalf Of Ed DeHarde
Sent: Tuesday, December 17, 2002 5:08 PM
To: bpcs-l@midrange.com
Subject: Re: Globally or by Facility

Judi,

The Facility Planning Data will be populated if the system parameter for
multiple facilities is turned to yes.  Most companies have this set to "Yes"
and abide by the requirements.  The effect is that most of the planning data
can be set for each facility.  For things like minimum balance, primary
vendor, and order policies, it makes sense that each plant probably would be
different.  Companies with multiple facilities would most likely set the
fields in the item master and then go to the facility and copy the data
through MRP140.  If necessary, they would copy additional records for each
facility and maintain any fields that are different

If you had never turned on the multiple facility flag and had not defined
your facility in the Facility Master, then I don't think you would have a
problem.  I have never tried to turn the flags off, so I can't say that you
could turn the system flag off and delete the Facility Master(s).

Be careful, though, of trying to delete the MRP140 records (CIC file).  The
records are populated manually, as stated above.  They are also created
whenever a transaction is performed for that item. (The system will validate
that there is a CIC record and if there is not one, the system will create
it).  The records are also created whenever a cost change is performed.  The
system stores the Standard and Actual costs in the record.  (They are the
fields displayed in INV300).  If a cost roll is performed, the system will
insure that there is a facility record and if there is not, it will be
created.  There may be other instances where the CIC is created by other
programs.  For example, AP may create a record (if needed) to calculate PPV.

Please note, the system uses the planning data in the facility record as a
default.  If a change is needed and it is made in the item master only, the
planning systems will continue to use the old data in the facility record.
All changes to planning data must be performed to the CIC file, usually
through MRP140.  If you choose to keep the item master in synch, that's OK,
but not necessary.

Since most of my clients have more than one plant, I usually tell them that
keeping these file in synch is just part of BPCS maintenance.   (Including
Al Mac, who doesn't always listen to me).

Sorry this is so long, but I hope it helps you,

Ed DeHarde
Unbeaten Path International

www.unbeatenpathintl.com
edeharde@execpc.com