I am also on 405 CD

In General Ledger, you can send transactions to Journal in summary form, as
we do for all the inventory, or in detail form, in which case you need
different GL accounts for each type of transaction or else you will too
rapidly run out of Journal Batches (hit ceiling for the month in less than
a week)
I think it would be wonderful if we could send in detail form those we are
doing some adjustments with, such as tracking sales by type of customer, or
type of business, while send in summary form those in which we could care
less about anything other than grand totals.  I do not know enough about
GLD to say whether that is doable.

Part of the GL account is related to the warehouse and location from which
the inventory is shipped.  You might want to designate different shipping
LOCATIONS based on the type of customer activity that you want tracked
differently in General Ledger.

Look at the ITE file Transaction effects - you can send B or any other
transaction to a different GL account than all the other transactions.

If you are using facilities, the item class comes not from item master IIM
but item cost planning file CIC.  We have some parts needing different
planner codes in different facilities so we have a simple fix it program to
reseed CIC for particular item types that cross facilities, because it is
very easy for people doing item maintenance to overlook facility exceptions.

We run a bunch of Query/400 reports off of the SSD and SSH files which
collect sales totals by customer item facility and there is a break down by
month in there.  SLH or SIH (I not remember off hand) has invoice line
items from ECL at billing time while B in ITH has details at shipping time,
such as the cost at time this went out, which people sometimes want to see,
as opposed to what the cost has changed to over time.

Using that kind of data, we are able to generate reports that total sales,
cost of sales, percentage cost variance and so forth, by customer type.

Due to personnel turn-over performing various critical functions, such as
customer order maintenance, new items, etc. we don't like to have a lot of
exceptions that they have to remember ... if if is this kind of customer
item, you have to do that special thing on another screen ... we prefer to
have a simple program that is run as one of the steps in the process ...
after ORD500 input, but before MRP or shop order release on the customer
item, we run MRP80W to refresh all the locations for production in the
planning etc. files based on our rules.  That way the end users not have to
remember the exceptions, they are all in our MRP80W modification.  They
only have to remember to run MRP80W at a particular step of the process.

Sales and Cost of sales are posted to the G/L based on Item Class.     Is
there a way based on a customer type to direct sales and cost of sales to
specific Acct#'s?        I know on the cost I could create a different
type of "B" transaction.   When INV920 is ran I could change the "B" to
the new Type.    How and when could the "BL" transaction be affected? The
Sales on a specific customer type needs to be kept separate for G/L
analysis.

Another option, I though of, would be at Order Entry change the Item Class
on the order for this Customer Type to specific item class to represent
this type of sale.     The class on the order is captured at time of entry
and not changed when the item master is maintained.    ECL keeps the class
used on the B and BL transactions.

Anyone have other suggestions?

Roger Henady
Thorco Industries