Al is right.

ASAP has numerous customers on its BPCS Helpline who have upgraded their
AS/400. One client upgraded their AS/400 a few weeks ago from an old F45
(bring back memories?) to a 270. They needed a new key. SSA charged a
fee of $10,000 for the new key. Expensive? Yes, but a fraction of what
the OGS fees would have been. That fee could have been negotiated if it
was end of quarter, end of year, etc. So, careful planning can reduce
that expense. You can contact your SSA rep to see what the key fee would
be in your particular case. If you have a decent SSA rep, they will
include in the key fee the right to have a key for your test box as
well. This was the case with the above mentioned conversion.  Again,
careful planning is important. With regards to BMRs, there are
substantial bug fixes released each week for all modules of BPCS. Our
typical client does not have all the modules, and most of the fixes do
not affect them. The client requests critical bugs addressed, we fix
them (in a timely manner) using SSA standards, document changes, perform
validation, change control, and turnover. All information with regards
to their system is stored in our knowledge base, so we have a record of
every action ever taken on their system. We also support all of their
modifications, interfaces, education/training, and 3rd party packages on
their AS/400. In some cases, the entire IS function is outsourced to
ASAP. Most people have horror stories of "What? You modified the
program? Sorry, we don't support modified programs. <Click>" Or how
about "we are not able to duplicate the problem. <Issue closed>".  In
SSA's defense, those clients still on OGS HAVE noticed an improvement in
the quality of service, but still not enough in their eyes. Bottom line:
if a customer thinks they may want to upgrade to the latest version of
BPCS within a year, we recommend they purchase OGS.

Sincerely,
Paul Reed
Advanced Systems and Products (ASAP)
PR@BPCSPros.com