I have been purging General Ledger Data for ancient fiscal periods out of
405 CD whose situation may be a bit different than in your version, since
we are B4 CEA.

We have files GJD and GJH joined by GJDJ01, in which I am careful not to
purge data posted in year N that was reversed in year N+1, after discussion
about this with accounting department.   In theory, you should be safe
provided the fiscal periods involved are closed and will never be
reopened.  If you want to be extra cautious, have the delete program check
that before wipe out.

Before running purge, I use Query/400 to check what is out there, because
human error can mean some strange invalid dates.  Because of this, to
delete data of year 2000 (for example) I say LESS THAN OR EQUAL to target
date (last year reversals for example are still there).

For safety (anyone can make a mistake, including me ... for example in one
deletion run I meant to say "Delete everything Not Equal to whatever" but
by mistake the program said "Delete everything Equal to whatever" and I
must have desk checked the program a dozen times and never saw my typo), I
do this stuff AFTER a total backup, using DSPFD *MBRLIST & Query/400 to
check what is there before and after the deletion run.

This is an annual run, also for ESH+ESL, AVM, and other files that
accumulate unwanted ancient records, which waits until after auditors done
each year, just in case they want to see info on data that will be going
away permanently.

We use standard BPCS reorg (SYS120) for file clean up after deleted records
removed.
A handful of files save disk space if run through an IBM reorg after the
BPCS reorg, if significant number of deleted records have been removed.  I
have found this to be true for CMF IIM FRT.  Be very careful about only
doing this stuff on a dedicated system.

-
Al Macintyre (macwheel99@sigecom.net via Eudora)