Phil,

I was hoping someone who knew RSS might reply to you.

I've been in BPCS 4.0.05 CD since 1998 conversion from a much earlier
version.  I expect that anything you can do in 4.0.02 also applies to us,
except we do not have RSS installed (Repetitive Supplier Scheduling), and
of course modifications will be different, such as your Y2K solution.

Our version 4.0.05 CD does not have PUR790 nor any PUR7* nor PUR97* (I
suspected you had a typo) nor the CAPABILITY that you describe, so I suspect
    * a modification either unfinished (HPO done but not some other files) or
    * not properly tested to validate end user satisfaction (PUR240
problem) or
    * something unique to RSS
Can you talk with your predecessors, or whoever was involved in starting
this thing, in case you do not have the whole picture?  Either someone
needs to modify your PUR790 so that it also updates ITH at instant of
substituting corresponding line # in HPO (you do realize that as HPO lines
go away, the ITH record is still there, so that also invites misleading
incomplete information into PUR240?) or you need some other report in place
of PUR240.

You might consider a modification that puts more information into ITH file
at the time of receipt of data from vendor.  If you carefully study ITH
population, you'll see that different fields are unused for different
transactions like "U" PO Receipt Direct to Stock.  At the instant this
record is added to ITH, you might add to some unused fields information of
relevance to HPO tracking so that you can get a new report that is not
dependent on line # synchronization.

Our Purchasing Department does not use PUR240.  Instead we modified PUR262,
which is a summary version of PUR240, to add subtotals by vendor and grand
totals showing amount quantity inspection statistics delivery on-time etc.
with reminder of relevant SYS800 parameters in effect (# days tolerance)
from ZNN Purchasing Rules file, which you do not want to be altering in the
middle of a statistical period.  We also wrote a program to clear the
Vendor statistics which we restart at fiscal intervals after Purchasing
gets the big picture for a year or 6 month interval.  If they are
interested in more detail on some vendor, then Query/400 over ITH gets at
info on both open and gone away Purchase Orders.

In IIM Item Master, we have vendor number from which we order raw materials.

Our HPO file supports line #s up to 999 but the most lines open in any one
of our PO#s is 13.  We have 900 Open Purchase Order records in HPO and 650
deleted which should go away in our next weekly reorg (I think the number
is high because we just had a month end last weekend).  Our HPH Purchase
Order Summary file shows 215 PO's open, meaning we have an average of 4-5
lines on each of our Purchase Orders.  I'd ask about normal needs in your
industry, among other BPCS companies, and RSS users.  It seems incredible
to me that 999 lines are not enough for the life of a Purchase Order,
unless version 4.0.02 could only handle 99 or less.

During month end, our purchasing update is PUR900, which deletes Completed
Purchase Orders.  Check HELP for various options available to purge special
kinds of lines.  Year end has PUR910.  You can view Help Text on Vanilla
BPCS V4 programs, without actually running them, via PDM against
QPNLSRC.  Purchasing documentation is member SSARUN06 of BPCSDOC.  I don't
see Repetitive in SYS800 or BPCSDOC, except where referenced by JIT & MRP.

Our other purchasing modifications, in addition to those in context above.

Goodbye deleted vendors, instead of soft coded eating vendor #s to infiinity.

BOM link end item vs. lowest child for sales history volumes to project
quantities of which vendor purchases on behalf of which end customer
demand, for optimal contract pricing.

Printouts restructured all over the place.

Additional reports via Query/400.

Inter-facility accounting streamlined.

Al Macintyre
BPCS V4 Programmer