version 405 CD

We use warehouse naming in which the first character signifies the facility
that they belong to and the last character signifies the type of warehouse
1 = finished goods ready to be shipped
2 = WIP
7 = raw materials stock room
9 = returns & QC problems awaiting disposition

We have items manufactured in one facility that are used as raw materials
in another facility.  They have to be coded type-1 so that they can be
manufactured.  We use planner codes to distinquish raw materials purchased
from outside as opposed to these inter facility items.

First character of facility designation is used consistently in facilities,
warehouses, departments, work centers, general ledger, inter-facility, all
across our number systems, so it is crystal clear to everyone what's in
which facility.

We issue materials to shop floor warehouse x2 from warehouse x7 including
special kits consisting of raw materials that will be needed at various
stages of a part's production, not just what will be needed at the first
operation.  Thus, as materials needed, they are right there where the
production is.  The duties of machine setup operator and material movement
are combined.  The setup person's responsibilities include making sure the
needed materials are delivered.

We have special paperwork at the stockroom clerk desk so that if anyone
removes materials when the clerk is not there, the paperwork is filled out,
then the clerk actually does the inventory transaction from the paperwork,
so we maintain strict inventory accuracy.

One of our facilities has much more storage space than the others, and it
has locations designated for bulky materials that belong to a physically
different location, to be transferred upon demand.  Material there is the
property of the facility that dictates its movement to the facility that
actually stores it.

We have been manufacturing final assembly in the shipping warehouse, and
all earlier operations in the WIP warehouse, with modifications to get this
to work, then later we were told that it is normal to do 100% production in
the WIP warehouse and transfer finished product to shipping warehouse when
completed.

Modifications:
Force all MRP planning such that end items are planned in the x1 warehouse
& all other shop orders in the x2 warehouse;
Force all Backflushing of warehouse x1 work from x2.

Our end items have a final operation 999 to force shop orders to remain
open until management has reconciled that what was manufactured agreed with
what was shipped.

Stockroom inventory has many locations, clearly labeled, so that inventory
can be found when needed.  WIP warehouse is one humongous AA01
location.  This dates back to when backflushing was from the first
alphabetical location that BPCS could find.  By using x2-AA01 we do not
have to do any transfers of materials & sub-assemblies involved in WIP - it
is all produced into x2-AA01, and it is all consumed out of x2-AA01.  99%
of this is done via JIT600.

We do have painted cross grid of factory floor so that all locations have
coordinates to help with physical inventory, but we do not use these
locations for day to day inventory tracking.

Al Macintyre
Evansville Indiana

-
Al Macintyre (macwheel99@sigecom.net via Eudora)