Rick ...

We are on 4.0.5, so the answer may be different, but my understanding is
that the MRP side is pretty much the same.  We run a total of 12 MRP500
jobs, 3 DRP500 jobs (including as many as 24 facilities), and 12 MRP600
jobs every night, and were having the same problem with the length of time
it took to run.  We also were told these jobs had to be run single
threaded, but hired an outside firm to do a detailed analysis of this for
us, who could see nothing that indicated these must be single threaded
jobs.  We now split the run into three different groups, and run jobs from
the three groups simultaneously and it works beautiful!  A couple things to
watch ... there will be some things you'll want to group together logically
(like the MRP500 and MRP600 for the same facility needing to be in the same
group), there may be some jobs that have to finish (like the DRP500) before
any others start.  Also, there is a diminishing point of productivity based
on the capacity of your machine ... we split first into two groups, then
three, then four.  When we hit four we saw we got no improved efficiency
from three, so backed it back to three groups.  Our nightly processing time
went from about 8 hours down to less than 3.

Hope this helps!

                    RickCarter@holl
                    ey.com                 To:     bpcs-l@midrange.com
                    Sent by:               cc:
                    bpcs-l-admin@mi        Subject:     MRP runs
                    drange.com

                    04/25/2002
                    10:26 AM
                    Please respond
                    to bpcs-l

BPCS v6.1.01 Mixmode AS400

We run MRP600 for (4) different facilities each night.  These runs are very
long and starting to impact other nightly processing.  SSA indicated we
needed to run these independant of each other.  We executed DBMON on this
job and the QQEPT field indicated that there may be a need for some
logicals to be built on CIC, KFP, KMR.   The counters here were between 1
and 208 on these files.  The advised index to build field was either 'N' or
'-' thus no indication of what logicals may be needed to improve this job.

Does anyone know of any performance enhancers for these MRP runs.