To whom it may concern:

There is an old System/38 trick that can be used to close files that are
left open.
If you can isolate the job stream that is leaving the files open.
You can use the RCLRSC (Reclaim Resources)command in a driver CLP program.
This will close all files opened during the application run.

Example:

             PGM        /* Customer Order Select */

/*******************************************************************/
/*  OBJECT ID: XXX350C          WRITTEN: 02/05/98         V4R4M0   */
/*       TEXT: CUSTOMER ORDER SELECT                               */
/*******************************************************************/
/*  MODIFICATIONS:                                                 */
/* --------------------------------------------------------------- */
/*  MOD     SCN      DATE       MODIFICATION SUMMARY               */
/* --------------------------------------------------------------- */
/*  XXX     XXX    XX/XX/XX     XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX */
/*******************************************************************/

             OVRDBF     FILE(RCML12) SHARE(*YES)

             CALL       PGM(XXX350) <-- program calls other programs
                                    that use an open query file for
                                    select and leaves RCML12 open
                                    for sub file inquiry select.

             DLTOVR     FILE(*ALL)
             RCLRSC     <-- Closes RCML12 and any other file left open

 EOJ:        ENDPGM

I hope this helps.

Chris Ertz
Software Development Manager