From: MacWheel99@aol.com [mailto:MacWheel99@aol.com]
Sent: Monday, February 25, 2002 3:30 PM
To: bpcs-l@midrange.com
Subject: Re: Alternate items

Here is a suggestion ... I am sure there are other ways ... what I think is
important to come up with a consistent way that is understandable to all
your
employees, and has suitable safeguards against human error.

Book customer order for item # 11.123 ... in item or customer notes MPN ESN
mention that 11.123 customer item is same as M123 in internal inventory &
production, and decide where to print that info, such as documents used by
shipping department to locate inventory ready to be shipped.

BOM for 11.123 would be 1 @ M123 ... in that item notes you might mention
that this is same as 11.123 & you have to track it the 2 different ways for
the 2 different purposes

customer order for 11.123 will drive MRP to have you produce M123

look into inventory transaction effects to see if your version of BPCS
supports a transaction that would be like INV510 except instead of moving
inventory from one location to another, you moving it from one item to
another, redesignating 11.123 as M123 ... you may want a modification in
which a person keys in the quantity & one of the item #s & up pops the
corresponding item# & you say which way it is going between the two of them.

You will need capability of other direction if customer returns 11.123 for
repair if there are any alleged quality problems that slipped by

You might put in the last routing step of M123 a reminder for someone to do
that transaction to transfer what was produced to 11.123