> in my world what Jim's doing is called
>  planning for contingencies and it's a part of the managers job

In my world I also plan for contingencies & I have lined up SEVERAL
contemporary alternatives to BPCS should something bad happen with our ERP,
or our satisfaction with it, which can happen with turn-over of managers at
the top.  My focus this time around has been primarily on alternatives to
COMMERCIAL SOFTWARE because I think the entire ERP industry of Commercial
Software is on equally shaky grounds.  None of my contingencies include
anything morally ethically or legality questionable.

When we went to BPCS 405 CD from BPCS/36 I had lined up scores of
alternatives & charted the pros & cons of each, after having researched over
1,000 ERP vendors to select what I thought were the best for us & 100% of
them were in the Commercial Software arena ... there were many that were
better for our nitch industry than BPCS, in my opinion, but those marginal
gains had to be weighed against what I consider to be the REAL cost of a
conversion & that is the retraining of 100% of the company in a totally
different way of looking at your data work flow.  My reccommendation was to
stick with BPCS & that's what my employers did.

I trust SSA to manage their ESCROW in a similar set of integrity standards to
my personal standard goals of not doing anything that even has a hint of
impropriety.

Part of the process of selecting an ERP is an analysis of the odds that
either the company will still be around 10 years from now, or that some of
the 3rd party support  outfits will still exist.  ENRON has shaken my faith
in data that can be analysed.

If anyone wants to talk about this more with me, could we take it off-line?