Kevin,

In a message dated 2/6/02 12:57:24 PM Eastern Standard Time,
WASHBURNCCINC@aol.com writes:

> Thanks to the people that responded to my question. But what I am looking
> for is a way in the new GUI versions of BPCS. The CEA product is the one I
> am most interested in.  In BPCS 6.02 version I worked on it had a desktop
> icon usually named Session Manager.
> <<snip>>

I hesitated to answer your original missive, because I'm inexperienced in V8.
 I should have known that you wouldn't receive an answer, because I've posted
several here on behalf of clients regarding that release and not received a
single answer.  It appears that nobody (including SSA/GT) is far enough along
on V8 to offer pertinent advice.  It is in large part due to this lack of
response on the part of _ANYONE_ that my current client has scrapped plans to
upgrade to V8 and proceed with a 6.1.02 upgrade from 6.1.01.

To wit and to paraphrase an answer to your question from the 6.1.02 GUI
installation instructions and my memory from this afternoon, "SSA/GT strongly
recommends that you do not employ two versions of the GUI client concurrently
on the same client.  Said installation will not be supported by SSA/GT or
Helpline."  I suspect that this has something to do with the "shared" DLLs
that do not appear to be shared by anything but the GUI client itself that
manifested themselves after I spent a great deal of effort finding an unused
PC and de-installing 6.1.01 session manager so that I could install 6.1.02
session manager on it.  This limitation is an _ENORMOUS_ pain in the kiester
as it requires more hardware to facilitate "side by side" testing of the new
version with the old, when the text-based testing can be performed on a
single client (mixed-mode).

I would further add that the _ONLY_ reason that I had to install 6.1.02 GUI
in the first place was that the server CD inside cover stated that the
documentation for installing it was on the GUI CD and, not finding the server
documentation immediately available on the GUI CD, I mistakenly assumed that
it needed to be unpacked by SETUP.  The latter was a _SEVERE_ misstatement on
the part of SSA/GT and a foolish assumption of trust of them on my part.  The
documentation for installing the server portion resided, indeed, on disc 1 of
the server installation discs and could be accessed without an installation
of any sort.  Pop it in the PC, print it out.

HTH,

Dean Asmussen
Enterprise Systems Consulting, Inc.
Fuquay-Varina, NC  USA
E-mail:  DAsmussen@aol.com

"Old programmers never die, they just can't C as well." -- Anonymous