Dean

Thanks for your illumination.

A lot of the modifications that I have done, have been of the form of
plagarizing techniques I have seen BPCS doing in one place ... generally I
like to keep the volume of techniques in any one program down to what is
already there unless complex needs demand more complex solutions.

I have done some modifications using techniques that I have not yet
encountered in what SSA has written.

This means that in some programs where SSA was using ERRMSG
against SSA's error message numbers, I created my own subroutine & sub
program doing the same thing against our added error messages, then copied
that to other programs needing similar service.

Can you point me at a better source for my future plagarism?
In other words, I am modifying the RPG code that comes from AS/Set
and would prefer to be using techniques that are less susceptible to future
trouble.

Al's initial challenge was with JIT600, which we have modified, but the error
messages in question were native BPCS messages:

> > I discovered that for some BPCS error messages on bottom of menu, when you
>  > cursor on that & F1 you get F1 for the whole menu as if it is missing the
>  > error message being there.  Is this related to some work station settings
>  > that I can fix some place?
>
>  Given your described situation, there is probably nothing you can do.  SSA
>  (and especially SSA/GT) has done a good job of cleaning most of these up,
>  but some still exist.  This is caused by a workstation (DSPF) programming
>  technique (ERRMSG) that has been forbidden by SSA
>  programming standards since time immemorial.
>  However, some still managed to get past technical review
>  on V4 and lower, and some are just left over from old or outsourced stuff
>  (like JIT).
>
>  _IF_ (and you'll note that's a BIG if)
>  there is any secondary help text to be had,
>  you must press the real "Help" key instead of F1 on these messages.
>  If  you're not using a terminal, your PC emulator can have this key in a
number
>  of locations, or none at all.  Check your keyboard map.  ADK (aka, AS/Set)
>  uses this "feature" extensively.  Not all "help" function keys are created
>  equally...

BPCS 405 CD Manager / Programmer @ Global Wire Technologies Incorporated
http://www.globalwiretechnologies.com = new name same quality wire
engineering company: fax # 812-424-6838