From: MacWheel99@aol.com [mailto:MacWheel99@aol.com]
Sent: Tuesday, December 04, 2001 2:24 PM
To: bpcs-l@midrange.com
Subject: Superceded in Library List

I am reviewing potential for saving disk space & improving computer
performance by removing old stuff that perhaps we do not need any more.
We
are not seriously hurting for disk space right now precisely because I
have
been rather agressive about cleaning up old garbage records, but there
have
been times in the past when we did hurt for having adequate disk space.

Our BPCS 405 CD has been extremely stable for a couple of years so I
think it
is past time to clean up from disk space any ancient stuff we have no
further
need for.
Do other companies using BPCS do any clean up of software in bottom of
library list & can you suggest gotchas to avoid?

Our BPCS live environment list for BPCS 405 CD includes
 70 Meg modifications library
 22 Meg Y2K bundle which we installed late 1999 with its source in a
separate
library
506 Meg REL-2 implemented mid 1999
  5 Meg copies of versions prior to cum PTF-1 that got broke by cum
PTF-1
 19 Meg of misc PTF added after cum PTF-1 with most source in separate
libraries
274 Meg cum PTF-1 including source implemented in mid 1998
590 Meg base BPCS405CD implemented in early 1998 with source in separate
library

Thousands of programs appear to be in library list multiple times
example - we have 4 copies of ORD500 @ 5 Meg each (executable, not
including
source)
& I'd like to develop a system to identify & get ridk of the older
unneeded
superceded versions, and their source, if there is a good clean way of
doing
so.

We had left BPCS405CDS in its original pristine condition & I am now
thinking
that it is time to replace source with copy of what changed from PTF-1
then
REL-2 & BMRs in right sequences, leaving intact what in CDS that never
changed in later versions, then eliminate many of those tiny BMR
libraries.

Have other companies tackled this topic & do you have suggestions about
how
best to approach it, or do you think this is a dumb idea, that will
rapidly
meet diminishing returns, not worth attempting?

BPCS 405 CD Manager / Programmer @ Global Wire Technologies Incorporated
http://www.globalwiretechnologies.com = new name same quality wire
engineering company: fax # 812-424-6838