We also plan by facility, officially, but sometimes someone who is filling in
for someone else who is sick or on vacation does something globally in error.

We just learned about horizon days & may not be using them perfectly.
I can best explain by example.

We got a customer order keyed in yesterday & I am sure that this is an
oversight by someone, but the order was keyed in as due the same day !!!
Which is impossible to really do.  Now the part in question has a horizon of
FIVE days, meaning that when we get the customer order, we estimate that we
can make it in five working days.  Our calendar has us off weekends & 2 days
thanksgiving, so five working days from now means the soonest we could
normally make this being Nov 26 & that is exactly when the MRP has planned it.

The customer order says it is due Nov-15
The MRP says it is due Nov-26
The MRP suggests it be expedited to Nov-19 which is now the first day of our
planning for next week.

If this was the olden days before we started using horizon days for our end
items, MRP would have ignored this customer order, because it was past due
when it got keyed in & all the components were past due.  MRP won't plan
anything that is past due.  But with horizon days, MRP takes the day that the
customer order says the thing is due & if that is inside the horizon, MRP
plans it on the first day outside the horizon, so that's how a customer order
due Nov-15 got planned by MRP for Nov-26.

Because MRP has planned this for Nov-26, the various sub-assemblies of this
are planned for next week.

I recognize this does not exactly answer your challenge.
I was just throwing out some things that might be part of your equation.